HAVERFORD, Pa. — Haverford got game bests of 24 points and 16 rebounds from Jesse Turkson and never trailed en route to a 72-51 win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's basketball game played tonight at Gooding Arena in Haverford, Pennsylvania.
Haverford 72, Washington College 51
How It Happened
- The Fords scored the first five points and 10 of the first 12 points to open up a 10-2 advantage following a layup from Turkson with 15:53 to go in the opening half.
- A layup from Turkson with 12:49 left in the half gave Haverford their first double digit lead at 18-7.
- The Shoremen would score the next six points to trim the lead to 18-13 with 9:50 left in the half following a free throw from Dallas Marshall.
- The Fords held a 20-15 lead before scoring the next six points to push the lead back to double digits at 26-15 following a pair of free throws from Nate Torres with 7:20 to play until halftime.
- Haverford held a 32-22 lead with 3:50 left in the half before Washington finished the half on a 8-2 run to trim the lead for the Fords to 34-30 at the halftime break. Tray Wright capped the opening half scoring with a layup with 41 seconds to go in the half.
- The Fords led 40-32 with 16:10 to go following two free throws from Joe Hartman before the Shoremen went on a 6-0 run to slice the lead to 40-38 with 13:16 to go on a driving layup from Wright.
- Haverford would then put the game away with a 19-2 run to take their largest lead of the game at that point at 59-40 with 6:45 to go on a layup from Jack Cork.
- The lead for the Fords grew to as large as 23 points and Washington would get no closer than 14 points the rest of the way.
For the Shoremen (3-9 Overall, 1-4 Centennial Conference)
- Marshall (10 points), Dilyn Becker (six rebounds).
- The Shoremen shot 35.2% (19-for-54) from the floor in the loss, did not hit a three point shot (0-for-11), and shot 56.5% (13-for-23) at the free throw line.
For Haverford (10-2 Overall, 5-0 Centennial Conference)
- Turkson (24 points, 16 rebounds), Torres (10 points), Joe Wujciak (game bests of five assists and three steals), Hartman (eight points, nine rebounds).
- The Fords shot 36.2% (25-for-69) from the floor in the win, 21.4% (3-for-14) from three point range, and 79.2% (19-for-24) at the free throw line.
- Haverford held a commanding 51-36 advantage in rebounding, scored 19 points off of 21 Washington turnovers, and held a 14-4 advantage in second chance points.
Up Next for the Shoremen
1/11 v. Johns Hopkins - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game).
- The teams split last year's series, with each winning on the opponent's home floor.