Marshall Scores a Team-Best 13 Points as Washington Concludes Its Most Successful Season in Seven Years
SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Host #6 and top seed Swarthmore opened the game on a 20-7 run and led the entire way on its way to a 77-59 victory over visiting four seed Washington College on Friday night at Tarble Pavilion in the semifinal round of the Centennial Conference Men's Basketball Tournament. The Garnet improve to 23-3 overall, while the Shoremen conclude their campaign at 14-13. WC's 14-13 mark is the team's best record for a season since 2011-12 when they also went 14-13 and reached the semifinals of the conference tournament.
#6 Swarthmore 77 Washington College 59
How It Happened
- Swarthmore raced out to a 20-7 lead 7:16 into the game, capping the opening run on an Abass Sallah layup.
- The Shoremen answered with a 10-2 run of their own to cut the lead to 22-17 with 8:04 left in the first half on two Tray Wright free throws.
- On the next possession, Zack O'Dell responded with a layup 29 seconds later to ignite a 9-0 run for the Garnet to take a 31-17 lead with 4:48 remaining in the half as O'Dell capped it off with two foul shots. He scored six of the nine points during the spurt.
- Each team scored four points the rest of the half as Swarthmore took a 35-21 lead over Washington into the dressing room.
- In the second half, the Garnet pushed out their lead to 18 points at 45-27 with 17:41 left on a Conor Harkins three-pointer.
- Washington would answer with a 9-2 run to trim the lead to 47-36 with 12:59 to go on a Dallas Marshall triple.
- The hosts however would counter with a 12-3 run to take a 59-39 lead on a George Visconti three that gave Swarthmore its first 20-point lead of the night with 8:04 remaining. The Garnet's lead the rest of the game fluctuated between 16 and 24 points.
For The Shoremen (14-13)
- Marshall (13 points and two steals), Daniel Brown (game-high eight rebounds, Rob Goyena III (four assists)
- The Shoremen shot 32% (19-for-60) from the floor, 35% (9-for-26) from three-point range and 71% (12-for-17) from the foul line.
- Washington outscored the Garnet in bench points by a 23-13 margin.
- The Shoremen had 36 rebounds and 18 turnovers.
For #6 Swarthmore (23-3)
- O'Dell (Game-bests of 18 points and five blocks, team-high seven rebounds and four assists to tie for team-best), Harkins (17 points), Visconti (14 points), Cam Wiley (contest-topping four steals and four assists to tie for squad best)
- The Garnet shot 45% (27-for-60) from the floor, 30% (7-for-23) from three-point range and 94% (16-for-17) from the free throw stripe.
- Swarthmore outscored WC 38-14 in points in the paint, 12-9 in second chance points, 23-13 in points off turnovers and 8-0 in transition points.
- The Garnet had 36 boards and 13 turnovers in the contest.
- Tonight marked the final game in a Washington uniform for Kevin McCormick, the team's lone senior as he scored six points tonight on a pair of three-point baskets.
- It was the first meeting in the conference tournament between the Shoremen and Garnet.
- In the other semifinal, Johns Hopkins, the two seed, downed Ursinus, the three seed, 67-60.