Bunch Scores Career-Best 10 Points
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting #16 Swarthmore never trailed on its way to an 84-61 win over host Washington College on Wednesday night in a Centennial Conference men's basketball game at the Cain Athletic Center. The Garnet improve to 17-3 overall and 10-3 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen fall to 9-11 and 5-8 respectively.
#16 Swarthmore 84 Washington College 61
How It Happened
- After Swarthmore scored the game's first seven points, the Shoremen scored the next six that was capped on a dunk by Alec Lewis with 16:39 left in the first half.
- Leading 9-8, the Garnet scored six straight points to lead 15-8 with 14:04 left in the first half on a three-pointer by Cam Wiley.
- Following a jumper by Logan Bunch that trimmed the Swarthmore lead to 17-12, the visitors scored 11 unanswered points to grab a 28-12 lead with 8:34 remaining in the first on an Abass Sallah three-pointer.
- Swarthmore outscored Washington the rest of the half 21-11 to take a 49-23 lead into the halftime break.
- The Shoremen did outscore the Garnet in the second half by a 38-35 count.
For The Shoremen (9-11, 5-8 CC)
- Bunch (career-best and team-high 10 points and four rebounds), Daniel Brown (four rebounds and two steals), Derrick Carter and Dallas Marshall (four boards), Josh Porteous (three assists)
- The Shoremen shot 32% (20-for-62) from the floor, 18% (3-for-17) from three-point range and 90% (18-for-20) from the foul line.
- Washington outscored the Garnet in second chance points (14-5), bench points (40-28) and points off turnovers (18-11), while holding a 33-31 advantage of the glass.
- The Shoremen had 12 turnovers.
For Swarthmore (17-3, 10-3 CC)
- Wiley (22 points to lead all players and two blocks), Zac O'Dell (14 points and two blocks), George Visconti (11 points), Sallah (10 points and three steals), Ryan Ingram and Conor Harkins (five assists), Nate Shafer (eight boards)
- The Garnet shot 58% (32-for-55) from the floor, 44% (12-for-27) from three-point range and 89% (8-for-9) from the free throw stripe.
- Swarthmore outscored WC 36-24 in points in the paint and 6-0 in transition points.
- The Garnet had 16 turnovers in the contest.
- Bunch was named the Chestertown McDonald's Shoremen Player of the Game on the Goose Nation TV webcast of the game. It was his second straight game notching a career-best in points as he had nine at Johns Hopkins this past Saturday.
- Washington shot a season-high 90% from the foul line tonight.
2/2 v. Franklin & Marshall – 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- Shoremen won first meeting on January 8 at F&M, 45-42, with Lewis hitting the game-winning three-pointer with 1.4 ticks left.
- Alumni Game rescheduled from January 19 to take place at 11 a.m.