CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting McDaniel College rallied from 10 points down in the first half to post a 67-64 Centennial Conference men's basketball victory over host Washington College tonight inside Cain Athletic Center.
McDaniel 67, Washington College 64
How It Happened
- Greg Scarborough knocked down a three-pointer one minute into the game to give McDaniel an early 3-0 lead, but the Green Terror would not score again for the next 6:14 as the Shoremen built a 10-3 advantage thanks to a Josh Porteous three with 13:09 left in the first half. Washington's lead grew to 10 points on three separate occasions before the Green Terror used a 7-0 run to pull within one point at 29-28 on an Isaac Ray lay-up with 1:31 left.
- Alec Lewis made two free throws for the Shoremen 24 seconds later, but Mike Wallace countered with a lay-up for the Green Terror with 48 seconds to go. After the Shoremen turned the ball over on the next possession, the Green Terror had a chance to take the lead, but Tony Tavares missed a three-pointer at the first-half buzzer and Washington brought a 31-30 advantage into the intermission.
- McDaniel opened the second half by taking a 32-31 lead on a Ray lay-up 18 seconds into the period. The Green Terror lead grew to nine on a Mike Wallace three-pointer with 13:52 left for a 45-36 cushion. The Shoremen scored the next seven points to pull to within two at 45-43 on a Daniel Brown bucket with 12:14 to go. The Shoremen regained the lead, 48-47, on a put-back and free throw by Austin Allen with 10:33 remaining. The Green Terror scored the next five points for a 52-48 lead on a Josh Sproul tip-in with 8:58 to go.
- The Shoremen twice got back to within one point before a Mike Wallace jumper gave the Green Terror a 59-56 lead with 3:38 to go. Tavares followed with a lay-up with 2:56 to go for a five-point advantage. Another Wallace lay-up pushed the lead to six at 63-57 with 2:25 remaining. Dallas Marshall then knocked down a jumper on the other end with 1:55 left to pull Washington to back to within four.
- Barry McCormick canned a three-pointer with 1:13 remaining to pull Washington to within a point. McDaniel came up empty on its next possession, but McCormick was called for a charge on the other end, giving the ball back to the Green Terror with 29.8 seconds to go. Aaron Washington went to the line for McDaniel with 23.9 seconds left and made both ends of a one-and-one for a 65-62 lead.
- Tray Wright drove to the basket for a lay-up on the other end for the Shoremen, cutting the deficit to 65-64 with 17.4 seconds to go. Tavares went to the for McDaniel with 12.5 seconds to go and made both ends of a one-and-one to push the lead back to three at 67-64. A Marshall three-pointer on the other end missed and the Green Terror got the rebound and the foul. Sproul went to the line with 2.5 seconds to go and missed the front end of the one-and-one, but a desperation attempt from near full-court by McCormick missed and the Green Terror held on for the victory.
For the Shoremen (8-10, 4-7 Centennial Conference)
- Marshall (17 points, 5 rebounds); McCormick (13 points, 7 rebounds); Porteous (9 points); Brown (9 rebounds)
- The Shoremen shot 45% from the field, 7-of-17 from three-point range, and 11-for-24 from the free-throw line. They held a 36-28 rebounding advantage.
For McDaniel (6-12, 2-9 Centennial Conference)
- Washington (19 points); Wallace (15 points); Ray (11 points)
- The Green Terror shot 43% from the field, 5-of-19 from three-point range, and 18-of-24 at the free-throw line.
- McCormick was named the Chestertown McDonald's Shoremen Player of the Game.
1/26 @ Johns Hopkins - 12 p.m.