Knight Scores First Career Goal for Washington
ALLENTOWN, Pa. – Rachel Richards scored the walk-off goal 1:29 into the second overtime session from Sarah Raab to give host Muhlenberg a 2-1 win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference field hockey game on Saturday night on Frank Marino Field at Scotty Wood Stadium. The Mules improve to 10-7 overall and 4-6 in the Centennial, while the Shorewomen conclude their season at 4-12 and 2-8 respectively.
Muhlenberg 2 Washington College 1 (2OT)
How It Happened
- Kailyn Brandt had the game's first shot on goal at the 6:27 mark, but her shot was saved by Jordan Segrave.
- Muhlenberg would get two shots on goal in first quarter, but Washington goalie Kayla Zapcic made the save on both chances.
- In the second quarter, the Mules converted a penalty corner a Kristin Oberg tipped in a pass from Alexandra Gann with 5:22 left in the second to put the hosts ahead by a goal and would stand as the lone goal of the first half.
- Washington's Maddie Knight scored her first career goal as she finished off a penalty corner feed from Parker Wolf to tie the game at 1-1 with 6:38 remaining in the third quarter and that would be the score going into the fourth quarter.
- Marlee Siegel had the final shot of regulation with 1:20 to go in the fourth, but Zapcic made the save and the game went to overtime.
- Muhlenberg had all three shots in the first overtime session, but did not score as Zapcic made two saves and the third shot went wide.
- In the second overtime session, Richards received a long pass from Raab and drove to the goal and she was able to chip it over the shoulder of Zapcic on the short side on a reverse shot for the winning score from the left side of the circle.
For The Shorewomen (4-12, 2-8 CC)
- Scorer: Knight (goal), Wolf (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Zapcic (7 saves, 2 goals allowed, 71:29)
- Washington had four shots and three penalty corners in the contest.
For Muhlenberg (10-7, 4-6 CC)
- Scorers: Oberg (goal), Richards (goal), Gann (assist), Raab (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Segrave (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 71:29)
- The Mules had 22 shots and 15 penalty corners in the game.
- Representing the Shorewomen for the final time tonight were seniors Sophie Grabiec, Abigail McGowan, Kylie Weiss and Jessie Willey. The quartet were a part of the 2017 team that made the Centennial Conference Tournament.
- Muhlenberg assistant coach Jackie O'Connell is a 2015 graduate of Washington College.