CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Ninth-ranked Johns Hopkins University scored five first-half goals en route to an 8-1 Centennial Conference field hockey victory over host Washington College this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
#9 Johns Hopkins 8, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Bryn Rolon put the Blue Jays on the scoreboard 5:59 into the first quarter when she knocked in a ball that initially rebounded after a shot by Izzy Thompson was saved by Kayla Zapcic.
- Maddie Brown-Scherer upped the lead to 2-0 when she received a pass from Abby Birk and got past Zapcic for the goal with 2:10 left in the first quarter.
- Brown-Scherer scored again with 11:45 to go in the second corner, finishing a transition opportunity after a failed clear.
- Katie McErlean added the Blue Jays' fourth goal with 9:58 to play before halftime, dribbling in and firing from the top of the circle.
- Izzy Thompson scored the fifth goal off an assist from Danika Berman with 7:36 left in the second quarter.
- Valerie Henderson back-handed in the Blue Jays' sixth goal with 7:55 left in the third.
- Kailyn Brandt took Washington's first shot with 7:01 remaining in the third.
- The Blue Jays' seventh goal came when Sam Chabot redirected in a ball sent by Birk with 3:14 to go and their eighth came 31 seconds later when Brown-Scherer scored her third of the game.
- The Shorewomen broke up the shutout with 13:21 left in the fourth quarter when Anna Harrington scored off a Grace Steele assist. The goal for Harrington was the first of her collegiate career.
For the Shorewomen (1-7, 0-3 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Harrington (goal), Steele (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Zapcic (2 saves, 3 goals allowed, 19:39); Caroline Kral (11 saves, 5 goals allowed, 40:21)
- Madison Hackett picked up her team-leading third defensive save in the season for the Shorewomen.
For Johns Hopkins (7-2, 2-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Brown-Scherer (3 goals); Rolon (goal); McErlean (goal); Thompson (goal); Henderson (goal); Chabot (goal); Birk (two assists); Berman (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Kaitlin Hall (3 saves, 1 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Blue Jays held a 31-6 advantage in shots and a 14-3 advantage in penalty corners in the game.
- Harrington was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
10/5 @ McDaniel - 5:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)