Zapcic Makes 15 Saves in Loss for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Gettysburg College topped host Washington College, 2-1, in overtime in a Centennial Conference field hockey game this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Gettysburg 2, Washington College 1 (OT)
How It Happened
- Emma Bertrando put the Bullets on the scoreboard with 1:27 left in the first quarter, rocketing a hard, high shot in off a pass from Julia Soares during a penalty corner.
- Washington goalkeeper Kayla Zapcic made back-to-back saves about 11 minutes into the second quarter on shots by Sam Nicol and Henna Fraiman.
- Jessie Willey tied the score for the Shorewomen by redirecting in a ball sent by Grace Steele during a penalty corner with 10:26 remaining in the third quarter. That goal was the first of Willey's collegiate career.
- Zapcic made five saves in the third quarter for the Shorewomen as the two teams headed to the fourth quarter tied at 1-1. She made four more in the fourth to send the game into overtime.
- Zapcic made a pair of saves early in the second minute of overtime. Kailyn Brandt then had a breakaway attempt for the Shorewomen, but Gettysburg goalkeeper Jillian Caputo forced her into a tough angle and the shot went wide.
- Zapcic made another save with 6:31 to play, but a penalty corner was quickly called. Henna Fraiman inserted the corner for the Bullets to Soares, who found Bertrando for the game-winner with 6:16 to go.
For the Shorewomen (1-5, 0-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Willey (goal), Steele (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Zapcic (15 saves, 2 goals allowed, 63:44)
- The Bullets
For Gettysburg (6-2, 2-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Bertrando (2 goals), Soares (2 assists)
- Goalkeeper: Caputo (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 63:44)
- The Bullets had a 26-7 advantage in shots and a 16-4 advantage in penalty corners in the game.
- Zapcic was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
9/26 @ Bryn Mawr - 4:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)