Sterling and Wolf Score For Washington
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting York (Pa.) came away with a 3-2 win over host Washington College in a non-conference field hockey game on Saturday evening at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium in the home opener for WC. The Spartans improve to 3-2 on the year, while the Shorewomen fall to 1-4.
York (Pa.) 3 Washington College 2
How It Happened
- The Spartans got onto the board 3:09 into the game on an Amanda Boclair tip-in from near the right post as she redirected a pass from Kristin Varilla as Hannah Huffman played the ball into the circle and found Varilla.
- Washington would tie it just over five minutes later as Julianna Sterling got to the rebound of a shot off the left post by Kailyn Brandt and poked it in at the 8:12 mark of the first quarter.
- In the second quarter, Dana Meehling gave York the lead as she received a crossing pass from Mya Gerena and from near the left post put in the shot to restore the Spartans' lead at 2-1 with 4:32 gone in the second.
- Grace Steele almost tied the game for Washington 41 ticks before halftime, but her shot that went in was taken just outside the circle and negated the score as York took a 2-1 lead into break.
- Brandt had the best chance in the third quarter to score with 9:30 left, but her shot hit the outside of the post and the Spartans took a 2-1 lead heading into the fourth.
- York scored on its first shot of the second half 8:11 into the fourth quarter as Sam Collis stole a clearing attempt by Washington and found Huffman near the left post and Huffman gave the Spartans a 3-1 lead with 6:49 to go.
- Washington got one back with 17.2 seconds remaining as Parker Wolf tipped in a pass from Grace Steele off of a penalty corner to trim it 3-2, but the Shorewomen could not get a chance to tie it and York held on for the win.
For The Shorewomen (1-4)
- Scorer: Sterling (goal), Wolf (goal), Steele (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Caroline Kral (3 saves, 3 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Washington had eight shots and five penalty corners in the contest.
For York (Pa.) (3-2)
- Scorers: Boclair (goal), Meehling (goal), Huffman (goal), Gerena (assist), Varilla (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Kaitlyn Wallace (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Spartans had seven shots and five penalty corners in the game.
- Wolf was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman Player of the Game at the end of the broadcast.
- In the two games that Washington has scored twice, Sterling and Wolf have scored and both times it was in that order.
- York assistant coach Taylor Fisher served as an assistant coach for Washington in 2017.
9/21 v. Gettysburg - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Conference opener for the Shorewomen.