Ingersoll Scores Both Goals for Washington from Brandt
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – St. Mary's (Md.) Courtney Mellon scored the game-winning goal with 14:13 left in the game for her second goal of the evening to give the guests a 2-1 win over host Washington College in a non-conference field hockey game on Wednesday night at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium that was delayed 92 minutes at start the second half due to a lightning storm. The Seahawks improve to 3-4 on the year, while the Shorewomen fall to 1-8.
St. Mary's (Md.) 2 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Washington had the game's first shot by Nicole Schroyer at the 12:52 mark, but it was turned away by St. Mary's goalie Kelbey Egerland.
- The Seahawks had their first shot on goal with 6:25 remaining in the first half by Kathleen Stevens, but WC goalie Morgan Domanico made the save.
- Off of a penalty corner, the Seahawks took the lead as Domanico made the save of the initial shot by Brooke Steinhoff, but Mellon was able to poke in the rebound from the left post for the game's opening goal at the 42:57 mark.
- WC would even the game at 49:09 when Kailyn Brandt drove down the left side and her cross was put home in front of the goal by Clare Ingersoll.
- Mellon would score the winner at the 55:47 mark when she dribbled around two Washington defenders and scored short side from the right side of the circle to give the Seahawks a 2-1 lead.
- The Shorewomen had one final chance to send the game to overtime, but Olivia Auer's shot was stopped by Egerland with 66 seconds remaining and the Seahawks were able to run out the clock.
For The Shorewomen (1-8)
- Scorer: Ingersoll (goal), Brandt (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Domanico (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Washington had 10 shots and seven penalty corners in the contest.
For St. Mary's (3-4)
- Scorers: Mellon (two goals)
- Goalkeeper: Egerland (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- The Seahawks had seven shots and four penalty corners in the game.
- Ingersoll was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman of the Game.
- It was the 11th all-time meeting between the Maryland colleges with nine of the 11 games being decided by one goal.
9/29 v. McDaniel - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Shorewomen won 7-1 last year in Westminster, Md.