Zwier Picks Up 100th Career Hit and Barclay Scores 100th Career Run for Shoremen in Second Game
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The host Washington College baseball team split a Centennial Conference double-header with visiting Dickinson this afternoon at Athey Park. The Shoremen won the first game, 10-3, but dropped the second, 17-6. Junior Ryan Zwier picked up his 100th career hit for the Shoremen with a triple in the second game and senior Aaron Barclay became the eighth player in team history to score 100 career runs with his run in second game.
Washington College 10, Dickinson 3 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- Alex Jacobson belted a two-out three-run homer to left in the top of the first to give the Red Devils an early 3-0 lead. The Shoremen got two runs back in the bottom of the frame with an RBI double to right by Max Ruvo and another RBI double to right by Aaron Barclay. They took the lead later in the inning when a pair of runs scored on a two-out error.
- Washington added two more runs in the bottom of the second on an RBI single by Barclay and a bases load walk drawn by Jack Kingman.
- Kingman hit an RBI double off the top of the fence in left center to drive in a seventh Shoremen run in the bottom of the fourth.
- The Shoremen's eighth run was driven in by a pinch-hit double by Dylan Nepert in the bottom of the sixth.
- Ryan Zwier hit a solo shot to left field to lead off the bottom of the eighth for the Shoremen, pushing the lead to 9-3. Barclay then scored on an error to make it 10-3.
For the Shoremen (23-7, 5-4 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Barclay (4-for-5, double, 3 runs, 2 RBI); CJ Gillmer (3-for-5, run); Kingman (2-for-4, 2 doubles, 2 RBI, run); Ruvo (double, 2 walks, 2 runs scored, RBI); Zwier (home run)
- Pitching: Mike Smith (win, 6 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs, 0 earned, 5 walks, 6 strikeouts); Ethan Osgood (save, 3 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks)
For Dickinson (19-8, 6-3 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Jacobson (home run, 3 RBI); Ben Carter (2-for-5)
- Pitching: Ethan Collins (loss, 1.2 innings, 4 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned, 4 walks, 3 strikeouts); Anthony Francioso (6.1 innings, 9 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts)
- Barclay was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
Dickinson 17, Washington College 6 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Zwier tripled in a pair of runs in the bottom of the first for his 100th career hit and then scored on a wild pitch for a 3-0 Shoremen lead.
- The Red Devils got on the board in the top of the second via a sacrifice fly by Pat Davis. They added a run in the top of the third when Chris Delsandro scored on an error. Max Matilsky then drove in another run to even the score at 3-3.
- Alex Cohen put the Red Devils in front, 4-3, with an RBI single in the top of the fifth.
- The Shoremen regained the lead, 5-4 with a two-run home run to right field by Luke D'Ostilio in the top of the fifth.
- Chris Baker drove in the Shoremen's sixth run on an infield single in the bottom of the sixth.
- Matilsky scored on a wild pitch in the top of the seventh to cut the lead to 6-5 and Davis followed with an RBI single to center to even the score at 6-6. Max Brown hit a grand slam to left center field later in the inning for a a 10-6 lead for Dickinson. Cohen added to Dickinson's big inning with a two-run single to make it 12-6. Matilsky then scored the Red Devil's ninth run of the inning on a wild pitch, a Brian Reilly double plated the 10th run of the frame, and a wild pitch scored Reilly for the 11th for a 15-6 lead.
- Reilly hit a two-run home run for the Red Devils in the top of the ninth.
For the Shoremen (23-8, 5-5 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Baker (3-for-4, walk, run); D'Ostilio (home run, 2 RBI, run); Zwier (triple, 2 RBI, run)
- Pitching: Nick Brauer (5 innings, 6 hits, 4 runs, 2 earned, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts); Ryan Mostoller (loss, 1.1 innings, 3 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts); Ethan Kile (1 batter faced, 1 run, 1 earned); Connor Morgan (0.1 innings, 2 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 1 walk); JD Sparks (four batters faced, 2 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 1 walk); Alex Bendzlowicz (1.1 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 1 walk); Dom Giandonato (1 inning, 1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned, 2 walks, 1 strikeout)
For Dickinson (20-8, 7-3 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Reilly (3-for-4, 4 runs, 3 RBI, double, triple, home run, 2 walks); Matilsky (2-for-4, 3 runs, RBI, double, walk, stolen base); Cohen (2-for-5, 3 RBI, 2 runs, walk); Delsandro (2-for-5, 2 runs, double); Brown (2-for-6, grand slam, 4 RBI, run)
- Pitching: Jake Geddes (5.2 innings, 6 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts); Tommy Koide (win, 3.1 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts)
- Baker was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
4/16 @ Johns Hopkins - 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)