Team Scores Final 10 Runs Of Game As D'Ostilio, Nepert Each Hit Home Run
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College scored the last 10 runs of the game, all coming in the sixth, seventh, and eighth innings, to post a come from behind 12-4 win over visiting Franklin & Marshall in a Centennial Conference baseball game played this afternoon at Athey Park in Chestertown, Maryland. Dylan Nepert (Federalsburg, Md. / Colonel Richardson) and Luke D'Ostilio (Hamden, Conn. / Hamden) each hit home runs for the Shoremen in the win.
Washington College 12, Franklin & Marshall 4
How It Happened
- The Diplomats loaded the bases with one out in the top of the first and took a 1-0 lead when Kelsey Launi hit a sacrifice fly to right field, bringing in Alex Miller.
- The Shoremen tied the game in the bottom of the first when Tommy Buckman hit a two out, infield single to short, scoring CJ Gillmer.
- Washington took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second when Nepert led off the inning with a solo home run to left field.
- A single to right center field from Will Samuel chased home Launi and tied the game at 2-2 in the top of the fourth. Two more singles followed to load the bases with one out, and following a strikeout, Miller would single up the middle to score Samuel and give Franklin & Marshall a 3-2 lead. Ethan Osgood then entered the game and got a foul out on one pitch to end the inning and strand the bases loaded.
- J.J. Freeman started the top of the fifth inning with a single to left field, advanced to second on a wild pitch, stole third base, and scored on a sacrifice fly to left field from Don DiLoreto to give the Diplomats a 4-2 lead. Two more runners got to second and third with two away, but a strikeout ended the inning.
- The Shoremen cut the lead to 4-3 in the bottom of the sixth when pinch hitter Chris Kramedas hit a ground ball to second base and reached on a fielding error, which allowed Ryan Zwier to score. Kramedas was thrown out at second base on the play. Later in the inning, the Shoremen loaded the bases with two outs and took a 5-4 lead when Max Ruvo singled to center field, scoring D'Ostilio and Aaron Barclay.
- The Diplomats got runners on first and second with one out in the top of the seventh, but a strikeout and a ground out ended the inning.
- With two away in the bottom of the seventh, D'Ostilio hit a three run home run to right field, scoring Kramedas and Zwier to extend the lead to 8-4.
- Washington loaded the bases with nobody out in the bottom of the eighth and pushed the lead to 10-4 when Gillmer hit a ground ball to third, a force out was made at the plate, but the resulting throw by the catcher to first to try and complete the double play sailed into right field, allowing Max Ruvo and Ben Ruvo to score. Zwier followed with a triple to right field which scored Gillmer to extend the lead to 11-4, and Barclay capped the scoring with a sacrifice fly to center field and wound up reaching when the ball was dropped, chasing home Zwier to set the score at 12-4.
For the Shoremen (22-6 Overall, 4-3 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: D'Ostilio (home run, three RBI, two runs), Max Ruvo (hit, two RBI, walk, run), Barclay (2-for-4, RBI, run), Zwier (triple, RBI, two walks, three runs), Nepert (home run, RBI, run), Buckman (hit, RBI), Ben Ruvo (hit, run, stolen base), Kramedas (hit, run), Gillmer (walk, two runs), Max Hammond (hit, walk).
- Pitching: Jonah Frankel (3.2 innings, seven hits, three runs, two walks, four strikeouts), Osgood (win, 4-1, 2.1 innings, two hits, one run, zero walks, three strikeouts), Ryan Mostoller (two innings, two hits, zero runs, zero walks, one strikeout), Connor Morgan (one inning, zero hits, zero runs, zero walks, one strikeout).
- The Shoremen collected 11 hits in the win, drew five walks, and left seven runners on base.
- Washington played a clean game defensively, committing zero errors.
For Franklin & Marshall (16-11 Overall, 3-4 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Miller (2-for-5, double, RBI, run), Samuel (2-for-4, RBI, run, stolen base), Launi (2-for-3, RBI, run), Freeman (hit, walk, run, stolen base), DiLoreto (hit, RBI, walk), Kyle Ebert (hit, stolen base).
- Pitching: Matt Devlin (5.1 innings, four hits, four runs, two walks, three strikeouts), Zach Muster (loss, 0-2, 1/3 inning, zero hits, one run, one walk, one strikeout), Charlie Wright (one inning, two hits, two runs, one walk, zero strikeouts), Jake Amorello (1/3 inning, one hit, one run, zero walks, zero strikeouts), Noah Jordan (two batters faced, one hit, one run, one walk, zero strikeouts), Kurt Elmer (one inning, three hits, three runs, zero walks, one strikeout).
- The Diplomats had 11 hits in the loss, drew a pair of walks, and left nine runners on base.
- Franklin & Marshall committed three errors, but did not give up any unearned Shoremen runs.
- Max Ruvo was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the first time in his career.
- Buckman has a nine game hitting streak and has picked up seven RBI in the last four games.
- Zwier has an eight game hit streak and has seven RBI in his last 3 games.
- Barclay also owns an eight game hit streak.
- Barclay and Zwier each have 28 RBI this season, tied for third most in the Centennial Conference.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/12 @ Franklin & Marshall - 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)