Washington Pounds Out Season-High 19 Hits and Barclay Drives In 100th Career Run
WESTMINSTER, Md. – Visiting Washington College notched its fifth 20-win season in program history and tallied a season-best 19 hits in an 11-3 win over host McDaniel, 20-12, on Tuesday afternoon at Preston Field in Centennial Conference baseball action. The Shoremen improve to 20-4 overall and 2-1 in the Centennial, while the Green Terror slip to 8-11-1 and 0-3 respectively.
Washington College 11 McDaniel 3
How It Happened
- Washington took advantage of a McDaniel error to score a run in the top of the first as with two outs CJ Gillmer scored on a throwing error by the Green Terror.
- McDaniel responded with two in the bottom of the first on a two-out, two-run single up the middle by TJ McGuire that scored both DJ Briscoe and Tim Griest that gave the hosts a 2-1 lead after one.
- Aaron Barclay tied the game in the top of the second when he singled through the left side to plate Ben Ruvo and level the contest at 2-2 with nobody out. That RBI was Barclay's 100th career RBI and the fifth Washington player to reach that milestone.
- Gillmer put the Shoremen ahead for good in the top of the fourth inning on a two out single to center to score Ryan Colbert and Ben Ruvo to give the Shoremen a 4-2 advantage.
- Dylan Nepert extended the edge to 6-2 on a two-run double down the left field line that plated both Barclay and Luke D'Ostilio with nobody out in the top of the fifth.
- Washington scored three in the top of the seventh and two in the top half of the eighth to reach 11 runs, while McDaniel scored once in the last of the seventh to get its third run.
For The Shoremen (20-4, 2-1 CC)
- Hitting: Gillmer (3-for-5, three RBI), D'Ostilio (3-for-6, two runs), Barclay (3-for-6), Ben Ruvo (2-for-4, two walks), Colbert (2-for-5, two runs), TC Conrad (1-for-1, two runs), Nepert (two RBI)
- Pitching: Ethan Osgood (win 3-1, 4 1/3 innings, three hits, one run, zero earned, one walk, three strikeouts)
- Washington had 19 hits, drew five walks and had two players reach on hit by pitch while leaving 14 on base.
- The Shoremen had three errors in the game, leading to one unearned runs for the Green Terror.
For McDaniel (8-11-1, 0-3 CC)
- Hitting: Julien Jenkins (2-for-4), Jarod Pezzano (2-for-5), McGuire (two RBI)
- Pitching: Zach Fortuna (loss 1-2, five innings, 12 hits, six runs, five earned, one walk, six strikeouts)
- The Green Terror notched 10 hits and drew five walks as they left 15 on base.
- McDaniel had five errors in the game, leading to three Washington runs.
- Prior to today, the Shoremen won 20 games in 1997 (21-13), 2012 (28-12), 2016 (26-12-1) and 2018 (24-16).
- Since 2010, the Shoremen are 8-2 at Preston Field on the campus of McDaniel.
- The other four players to notch 100 career RBI for Washington are Ryan Normoyle '12 (139), John Rolewicz '12 (115), Scott Quinn '97 (108) and Mike DeBartolome '07 (103).
- Washington had the leadoff hitter reach six times, while McDaniel had its first hitter of the frame get on five times.
4/5 v. McDaniel – 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Shoremen won 6-4 last April in Chestertown.