Horan Tallies 12th Double-Double of the Year With 30 Assists and 10 Digs
CARLISLE, Pa. – Senior middle hitter Alaina Geissberger (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North) had a career-high nine blocks as visiting Washington College downed host Dickinson on Saturday afternoon, 3-1 (26-24, 16-25, 25-13, 25-23), in a Centennial Conference volleyball match at the Kline Center.
Washington College 3 Dickinson 1 (26-24, 16-25, 25-13, 25-23)
How It Happened
- In the first set, Washington scored the last three points to turn a 24-23 deficit into a 26-24 win. Lizzie Baden tied the set on a kill, an assisted block by Alaina Geissberger and Abby Smith put WC ahead 25-24 and an attack error by Dickinson gave the Shorewomen a two-point win.
- Tied 9-9 in the second set, the Red Devils took the lead for good in the set with a 7-1 run to take a 16-10 lead on a Jamie Singer kill. A Megan Gombatz kill clinched the set for the hosts.
- Washington outscored Dickinson 23-7 in the final 30 points of the third set as the Shorewomen reversed a 6-2 deficit into a 25-13 win. A tandem block by Taylor Horan and Kylie Peets put WC ahead for the remainder of the set at 8-7 and an ace by Smith ended the third set.
- Tied 20-20 in the fourth set following a 6-1 run by the Red Devils, the Shorewomen won five of the last eight points, including the final two, to win the set and match. Geissberger notched the final two points of the match, both coming on kills, to snap a 23-23 tie and give Washington the two-point win.
For The Shorewomen (14-6, 2-3 CC)
- Kaitlyn Marino (10 kills to lead team and tie for match-high and four blocks to tie career-best), Taylor Horan (30 assists to lead all players and 10 digs for double-double), Smith (11 digs to lead squad and match-high four aces), Cassie Kowalski (10 digs), Geissberger (nine blocks to lead all players), Kylie Peets (career-high five blocks), Baden (four blocks to match personal-best),
- Geissberger factored into nine of the Shorewomen's 15 blocks in the match.
- Washington hit .095 in the win and served up five aces.
For Dickinson (8-12, 2-5 CC)
- Singer (10 kills to lead squad and tie for match-best), Tatiana Lopez (match-topping 24 digs and team-high three aces), Kristin Allgaier (22 assists), Jaqueline Banker (11 digs)
- Dickinson had two blocks.
- The Red Devils hit .028 in the match.
- Dickinson had six aces as a team and totaled one block.
- Geissberger is the first WC player to have nine blocks in a match since Jess Daunoras '16 had nine against Catholic in 2015.
- It was Washington's first 15 blocks in a match performance since a five-set win over Penn State-Behrend in 2015.
- Horan tallied her 12th double-double of the season and now has 51 in her career. She has double-doubles in six of the last eight matches.
- The Shorewomen have won five of the past seven meetings against Dickinson and have three of the past four at the Kline Center.
10/11 @ Haverford – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)