Martinez & Pant Win in Singles for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Swarthmore College, ranked eighth in the Atlantic South region and 36th in all of Division III, remained unbeaten in Centennial Conference play with a 7-2 victory over host Washington College, the region's 20th-ranked team, in a women's tennis match this afternoon.
#36 Swarthmore 7, Washington College 2
- Julia Gokhberg and Shirline Wee started the Garnet off with an 8-2 win at No. 2 against Sarah Bruno and Krista Filiopoulos.
- Anna Scheibmeir and Emma Kassan followed with an 8-6 victory over Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez at No. 1. Schiebmeir and Kassan are ranked 14th in the region in doubles.
- Rachel Bronkema and Arya Jemal completed the doubles sweep with an 8-3 win over Ella Samer and Riley Katzman at No. 3.
- Audrey Haring pushed the lead to 4-0 with a 6-1, 6-1, win against Bruno at No. 5.
- Scheibmeir clinched the Swarthmore victory with her 5-7, 6-1, 6-0, win over Filiopoulos at No. 3.
- Kassan made the score 6-0 by narrowly defeating Lazer, 7-6(5), 6-4, 7-5, at No. 1.
- Martinez picked up a point for the Shorewomen with her 5-7, 6-2, 6-2, win at No. 2.
- Jemal added a 7-5, 4-6, 10-6, win against Samer at No. 4.
- Kiran Pant picked up the Shorewomen's second point with an 8-6 win over Rachel Hechinger at No. 6.
- The Garnet improved to 7-7 overall and 6-0 in conference play with the win, while the Shorewomen fell to 8-4 and 3-2 with the loss.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/14 @ Dickinson - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)