Shorewomen One Win Away from Conference Tournament Berth
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The host Washington College women's tennis team moved one step closer to clinching a spot in the Centennial Conference Tournament with a 6-3 win over visiting Ursinus this afternoon at Schottland Tennis Center. The Shorewomen, who are ranked 13th in the Atlantic South region, improved to 9-5 overall and 5-2 in conference matches with the win. The Bears, meanwhile, dropped to 11-6 and 3-5 with the loss.
Washington College 6, Ursinus 3
- Ursinus scored the first point of the match as Christine Palazzalo and Robin Asher downed Mariah Thomas and Paige Rebstock, 8-2, at No. 3.
- Washington evened things up with an 8-4 win by Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez against Aileen Bevard and Ashley Nguyen at No. 1.
- The Shorewomen took the lead when Krista Filiopoulos and MP Hubert finished off an 8-3 victory against Caitlyn Sorelle and Ariel Danziger at No. 2
- The Bears evened the score at 2-2 with Alsher's 6-1, 6-1, win against Rebstock at No. 6. and took a 3-2 advantage after Palazzolo completed her 6-1, 6-0, victory over Thomas at No. 5.
- Hubert tied the score for Washington with a 6-1, 6-1, win against Danziger at No. 4 and Lazer put Washington in front, 4-3, with a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Bevard at No. 1.
- Filiopoulos clinched the team victory for the Shorewomen with a 6-2, 6-2, win against Nguyen at No. 3. Martinez completed the match with a 7-6(3), 6-4, victory against Sorelle at No. 2.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/22 @ Gettysburg -12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- A win over Gettysburg would officially clinch a Centennial Conference Tournament berth for the Shorewomen.