Martinez Wins in Singles & Doubles for Shorewomen.
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Salisbury University, ranked 13th in the Atlantic South region, defeated host Washington College (ranked 11th in the region), 7-2, in a non-conference women's tennis match this afternoon. The Sea Gulls upped their record to 10-6 with the win, while the Shorewomen dropped to 7-5 with the loss. The match began outside at Schottland Tennis Center before moving indoors to the Johnson Fitness Center for the conclusion of fifth and sixth singles due to darkness.
Salisbury 7, Washington College 2
- Sage Cole and Taylor Cooper notched the first point for Salisbury with an 8-2 win at No. 3 against Kiran Pant and Mariah Thomas.
- Washington's Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez knocked off the region's ninth-ranked doubles team - Annika Kezman and Julia Kwedi - 8-3 at No. 1 to even the score at 1-1.
- The Sea Gulls took a 2-1 lead thanks to an 8-4 win by Claudia Lohn and Jordan Schaefer against Krista Filiopoulos and MP Hubert at No. 2.
- Lohn pushed the Salisbury lead to 3-1 with her 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, win against Filiopoulos at No. 3. Martinez answered for the Shorewomen with a 7-5, 6-4, win against Kwedi at No. 2.
- A 6-2, 6-2, win by Cooper over Hubert at No. 4 gave Salisbury a 4-2 advantage. The Sea Gulls then clinched the win when Kezman, ranked 25th in the region in singles, beat Lazer, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 1.
- Shannon Hickman added a 6-0, 6-0, win against Thomas at No. 5 and Schaefer beat Pant, 6-2, 6-4, to close out the match.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/15 v. Dickinson - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)