Lazer & Martinez Win at No. 1 Doubles
SWARTHMORE, Pa. — The Swarthmore College women's tennis team, ranked 40th in Division III and eighth in the Atlantic South Region, improved to 7-3 overall and 6-0 in Centennial Conference matches with an 8-1 win over visiting Washington College, the region's 11th-ranked team, this afternoon. The Shorewomen dropped to 7-4 and 3-2 with the loss.
#40 Swarthmore 8, Washington College 1
- The Shorewomen won at No.1 as Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez knocked off Emma Kassan and Anna Scheibmeir, 8-3.
- The Garnet, however, took the other two doubles spots for a 2-1 lead. Alli Wong and Maria Cuervo finished off an 8-3 win against Krista Filiopoulos and MP Hubert at No. 2 and Ashley Gao and Rachel Bronkema defeated Kiran Pant and Mariah Thomas, 8-3, at No. 3.
- Wong extended the Garnet lead to 3-1 thanks to a 6-0, 6-0, win against Pant at No. 5, while Arya Jemal blanked Thomas, 6-0, 6-0, for a 4-1 Swarthmore advantage.
- Julia Gokhberg notched the fifth and match-clinching point for the Garnet with her 6-0, 6-1, win against Hubert at No. 4.
- Kassan, ranked 11th in the region in singles, added a 6-2, 6-2, win over Lazer at No. 1. Shirline Wee added a 6-4, 6-4, win against Filiopoulos at No. 3 and Vivien Fernandez -Ravelo rallied for a 1-6, 6-2, 10-6, victory at No. 2.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/13 v. Salisbury - 3:30 p.m.