Lazer & Martinez Win in Singles and Doubles for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Haverford College pulled out a hard-fought 5-4 Centennial Conference women's tennis win over host Washington College this afternoon at Schottland Tennis Center. The Fords improved to 5-4 overall and 3-0 in conference play with their win over the Shorewomen (7-3, 3-1), who are currently ranked 11th in the Atlantic South region.
Haverford 5, Washington College 4
- The Fords picked up the first point of the match thanks to an 8-0 win at No. 3 by Clara Farrehi and Jessica Liu against Kiran Pant and Mariah Thomas.
- The Shorewomen evened things up when Julie Lazer and Rachel Martinez completed an 8-2 victory over Greta Koch and Abby Payson at No. 1.
- Haverford moved in front, 2-1, courtesy of an 8-5 win by Emily Shutman and Jane Bary against Krista Filiopoulos and MP Hubert at No. 2.
- Haverford extended the lead to 4-1 as Liu beat Thomas, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6 and Rory Lewis topped Pant, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 5.
- Martinez cut the margin to 4-2 with her 1-6, 6-1, 6-1, win against Koch at No. 2, but Bary clinched the win for the Fords with her 6-4, 6-2, win against Hubert at No. 4.
- Lazer tallied a 7-6(4), 6-1, win over Shutman at No. 1 and Filiopoulos beat Payson, 7-5, 6-3, at No. 3 to provide the final margin.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/12 @ #40 Swarthmore - 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)