CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The Washington College women's tennis team, ranked 40th in Division III and eighth in the Atlantic South region, opened its dual-match season with a 7-2 win over visiting St. Mary's College of Maryland today in a non-conference match played inside Johnson Fitness Center.
#40 Washington College 7, St. Mary's 2
- The Shorewomen opened with an 8-0 win for over Rachel Martinez and Julie Lazer over Marissa Romanek and Melissa Barall at No. 1.
- MP Hubert and Krista Filiopoulos then added an 8-1 victory against Chelsea English and Raziela Managan at No. 2.
- St. Mary's won at No. 3 as Claire Bodine and Savannah Bergen were 8-3 victors against Kiran Pant and Mariah Thomas .
- Lazer posted a 6-2, 6-4, win at No. 1 singles, while Martinez beat Romanek, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2.
- Filiopoulos bested Bodine, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 3 and Hubert topped Managan, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 4.
- Pant topped English, 8-1, at No. 5. Bergen picked up the Seahawks' second point of the day thanks to her 8-1 victory over Thomas at No. 6.
- St. Mary's fell to 1-3 with the loss.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/12 v. Berry - 11:00 a.m. (at Orlando, Fla.)