Team Is 3-1 For The First Time In Eight Years
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. — Washington College scored on their first three shots less than 15 minutes into the game en route to a 4-0 win over Marymount (Va.) in a non-conference women's soccer game played today at Battleground Grass Field on the campus of Mary Washington at the UMW Classic in Fredericksburg, Virginia. With the win, the Shorewomen are now 3-1 through the team's first four games for the first time since the 2009 season.
Washington College 4, Marymount (Va.) 0
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen scored on the first shot of the game just 7:07 into the contest as Olivia Sabatino took a pass from Emily Caldarelli and finished her third goal of the season.
- Caldarelli doubled the lead just 89 seconds later, scoring an unassisted goal to put Washington ahead 2-0 just 8:36 into the contest.
- Arianna Sabatino would extend the Shorewomen's quick start, finishing off a cross from Caldarelli in the 15th minute to put Washington ahead 3-0.
- Washington would hold a 6-2 advantage in shots at the halftime break.
- The Shorewomen pushed the lead to 4-0 with 37:20 to go, as Lindsay Russell finished a corner kick cross from Olivia Sabatino with a header for her first career goal.
- The Shorewomen almost extended the lead to 5-0 with 29:22 to go, but a shot from Maribeth Harrington hit the post.
For the Shorewomen (3-1)
- Scorers: Caldarelli (one goal, two assists), Olivia Sabatino (one goal, one assist), Arianna Sabatino (one goal), Russell (one goal).
- Goalkeeper: Annalie Buscarino (zero saves, zero goals allowed, 60:45), Courtney Colbert (zero saves, zero goals allowed, 29:15).
- The Shorewomen held an 11-3 advantage in shots and a 5-3 edge in corner kicks.
For Marymount (Va.) (0-1-2)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Sydney Sherman (three saves, four goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Saints did not record a shot on goal.
- Today's game marks the second time the Sabatino twins have each scored in the same game. In last year's season opener against Rosemont, Arianna Sabatino scored three goals and Olivia Sabatino scored two goals in an 8-0 win for the Shorewomen.
- Olivia Sabatino scored her 12th career goal today, breaking a tie with Sarah Yarbrough '09 for eighth place on the Shorewomen's career goal scoring list. She also picked up her eighth career assist, moving her into a tie with Bailey Howard '16 for fifth place on the Shorewomen's career assist list.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/13 @ Gwynedd Mercy - 6:00 p.m.
- The Shorewomen scored two goals less than ten minutes into the contest en route to a 2-1 win over the Griffins last year and have won the last three meetings in a row.