Davenport Named MARC Women's Coach of the Year, Shorewomen Garner All-Conference & Academic All-Conference Honors
LEWISBERRY, Pa. — The Washington College women's rowing team won both the first and second varsity eights to capture its fourth consecutive Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference (MARC) Championship and fourth consecutive automatic berth in the NCAA Division III Championships to at the MARC Championships on Pinchot Lake in Lewisberry, Pa. Following the regatta, the annual MARC awards were presented and Washington College head coach Dr. Mike Davenport was named the MARC's Women's Coach of the Year to headline the Shorewomen's honorees.
Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference Championships
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen's second varsity eight won in 7:15.3, out-pacing second-place Franklin & Marshall (7:28.9), third-place Bryn Mawr (7:35.42), and fourth-place Johnson & Wales (7:57.33).
- Because the difference in points between first and second place in the first varsity eight was greater than that in the second varsity eight, 15th-ranked F&M could have still won the MARC Championship with a first-place finish in the first varsity eight. It was the Shorewomen, however, who prevailed with a time of 6:46.86 to F&M's second-place time of 6:54.24. Marietta was third in 6:54.81, Bryn Mawr fourth in 7:07.49, and Johnson & Wales fifth in 7:15.70.
- Davenport, who is retiring this summer, was named MARC Women's Coach of the Year for the third time overall and second year in a row.
- Jackie Creitz and Maddie Morrissette were named to the All-MARC Varsity Team, while Kelin McCloskey was named to the All-MARC Novice Team. This is Morrissette's second All-MARC honor as she was named to the All-MARC Novice Team as a freshman.
- Creitz, Morrissette, Annie Grosscup, Danielle Huston Hakey, Maggie Perry, and Annie Sniffen were named to the Academic All-MARC Team, open to sophomores and above with cumulative grade-point averages of at least 3.5. This is the third time Perry has qualified for the distinction and the second time Creitz, Morrissette, Huston Hakey, and Sniffen have.
Shorewomen Boat Line-Ups
- Varsity Eight: Jaclyn Gibbons (coxswain), Jules Shipps (stroke), Morrissette (seven), Creitz (six), Diana Lucey (five), Huston Hakey (four), Michaela Martino (three), Perry (two), Mackenzie Gaze (bow)
- Second Varsity Eight: Emily Booth (coxswain), Sniffen (stroke), McCloskey (seven), Brenna Kacar (six), Grosscup (five), Sara Underwood (four), Leslie Collins (three), Karis Marano (two), Hannah Cagle (bow)
- Points were awarded in the first and second varsity eights to determine the MARC women's champion with greater weight placed on the first varsity eight. The Shorewomen finished with 40 points, F&M 35, Bryn Mawr 27, Marietta 26, and Johnson & Wales 22.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
5/27&28 @ NCAA Division III Championships (Gold River, Calif.)