Four Shorewomen Score Two Goals Each, Solomon Makes 14 Saves
HILTON HEAD, S.C. — The Washington College women's lacrosse team withstood a second-half rally by Albright College en route to a 10-7 non-conference win over the Lions in a game played at Barker Field in Hilton Head, S.C, today.
Washington College 10, Albright 7
How It Happened
- Neither team scored until 9:50 into the game when Caitlin Donovan scored off a feed from Alison Pantazes to give the Shorewomen a 1-0 lead. Aubrey Robinson followed with a free-position goal with 17:23 on the clock to make it 2-0.
- Albright got back to within a goal when Mariah Cullen scored off a Sophie Bass assist with 16:08 on the clock, but Washington scored three of the final four goals of the first half for a 5-2 halftime lead. Rachael Shaw scored for Washington off the draw control after Cullen's goal at 15:49, Katherine Vincent added one for the Shorewomen on a free-position shot with 8:57 left, Patricia Horgan scored for the Lions with 7:14 to go, and Pantazes found the back of the net for Washington with 6:00 to go.
- The Shorewomen opened the second half with goals by Robinson (24:15) and Shaw (19:04) to take their biggest lead of the game at 7-2.
- The Lions then scored five of the next six goals to cut the lead all the way down to a single score. Kelly Baumann scored back-to-back goals for Albright with 15:28 and 11:21 left, respectively, before Vincent found the back of the net for the Shorewomen with 9:58 left. Cullen scored on a free-position at 9:26, Devon Mela scored at 6:04 and Baumann scored on a free-position with 2:59 to go to trim the lead to 8-7.
- Pantazes won the ensuing draw thanks to an Albright violation and the Shorewomen ran time off the clock until Caitlin Donovan passed out of a double team to Morgen Moran, who was wide open in front of the goal and beat Albright goalie Hayley Joyce for a 9-7 lead with 1:48 left. Donovan won the next draw control and the Shorewomen tacked on their final goal on a free-position shot by Moran with five seconds left.
For the Shorewomen (3-2)
- Scoring: Moran (2 goals), Robinson (2 goals); Shaw (2 goals); Vincent (2 goals); Pantazes (goal, assist); Donovan (goal; assist)
- In Goal: Haylee Solomon (14 saves, 7 goals allowed, 57:01); Maddie Mullen (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 2:59)
- The Shorewomen controlled 11 of the game's 18 draws, including seven of 11 in the second half.
For Albright (3-3)
- Scoring: Baumann (3 goals); Cullen (2 goals)
- In Goal: Joyce (12 saves, 10 goals allowed, 59:55); Sayge Martin (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 0:05)
- The Lions held a slim 28-27 advantage in shots.
- The game was originally slated to be played at Hilton Head Prep School, but the location was changed due to wet field conditions.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/18 v. Randolph-Macon - 1:00 p.m.