LYNCHBURG, Va. — Visiting Washington College jumped out to a 9-2 halftime lead en route to a 17-3 win over host Lynchburg in a non-conference women's lacrosse game played today at Shellenberger Field in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Washington College 17, Lynchburg 3
How It Happened
- Caitlin Donovan put the Shorewomen on the board with 28:42 to go in the opening half before Lynchburg tied the game with 25:10 to go in the opening half on a goal from Sarah Suter.
- Kristy Grovom kicked off a four goal run for the Shorewomen with an unassisted goal with 22:47 to go in the half to give Washington a 2-1 lead. Cecily Docktor then scored off of a Madison Acra assist to push the lead to 3-1 with 19:58 to play, followed by an unassisted goal from Aubrey Robinson 46 seconds later to extend the lead to 4-1. Katherine Vincent capped the run with a goal with 15:25 to play in the opening half to make it a 5-1 Washington lead.
- Maddie Koontz broke the run with a free position goal with 15:06 to play in the half to cut the lead to 5-2, but the Shorewomen then went on another 4-0 run to end the half and extend the lead to 9-2. Vincent scored the first two goals of the run with 12:29 and a free position tally with 9:01 to go, with Grovom following with a goal at 8:44. Vincent then capped the run and the first half scoring with a free position goal goal with 7:45 to play.
- The Shorewomen scored the first seven goals of the second half to cap an 11-0 run and take a 16-2 lead en route to the 17-3 final.
For the Shorewomen (2-0)
- Scorers: Vincent (4 goals on 4 shots), Grovom (4 goals), Morgen Moran (3 goals), Docktor (2 goals, 2 assists), Robinson (2 goals), Donovan (1 goal, 1 assist), Rachael Shaw (1 goal), Acra (1 assist).
- Goalie: Haylee Solomon (7 saves, 2 goals allowed, 51:57), Madeline Mullen (0 saves, 1 goal allowed, 8:03).
- The Shorewomen needed just 25 shots to score their 17 goals, held a 13-9 advantage in draw controls, and an 18-16 advantage in ground balls.
- Washington was also a perfect 14-for-14 on clearing attempts.
For Lynchburg (2-2)
- Scorers: Suter (1 goal), Koontz (1 goal), Alison Truman (1 goal), Sidney Gleason (1 assist), Laura Meisner (1 assist).
- Goalie: Chelsea Shultis (1 save, 11 goals allowed, 37:04), Lauren Bodamer (1 save, 6 goals allowed, 22:56).
- Lynchburg was held to 14 shots in the loss and turned the ball over 13 times.
- The Shorewomen's 17 goals today are their most goals scored in a non-conference game since an 18-2 win at Rutgers-Camden on March 23rd, 2015.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/8 @. Stevenson - 7:00 p.m.
- The Shorewomen led by as many as 12 goals en route to a 16-6 win in Chestertown last year.