Estep Has Three Hits, 3 RBI, 2 Runs Scored in Twin Bill for Shorewomen
WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Washington College softball team split a non-conference double-header with host Catholic University this afternoon. The home-standing Cardinals won the first game, 6-3, but the Shorewomen bounced back with a 4-2 win in the second game.
Catholic 6, Washington College 3 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- A two-run single in the bottom of the first by Megan Colline gave the Cardinals an early 2-0 lead. An Erin Adams RBI triple in the bottom of the second extended the lead to 3-0.
- In the bottom of the fourth, the Cardinals doubled their advantage to 6-0. Alyssa Keane drove in a run with a single to left and two more runs came across on an error..
- Alli Saul led off the top of the fifth for Washington with a double and then was driven in by a Rachel Butler single up the middle to put the Shorewomen on the board. Kerri Estep immediately followed by driving in Butler with a double to left. Three batters later, Taylor Harcum drove in Estep with a double as the lead was cut in half to 6-3.
- That was as close as the Shorewomen would get, however, as Catholic pitcher Kelly Lynch retired the game's final seven batters in order.
For the Shorewomen (14-13)
- Hitting: Estep (1-for-3, double, run, RBI); Harcum (1-for-3, double, RBI); Saul (1-for-3, double, run); Butler (1-for-2, RBI, run)
- Pitching: Harcum (loss, 6 innings, 6 runs, 3 earned, 6 hits, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts)
For Catholic (13-8)
- Hitting: Colline (1-for-3, 2 RBI); Julie Keleti (1-for-3, 2 runs); Adams (1-for-3, triple, RBI)
- Pitching: Lynch (win, 7 innings, 3 runs, 3 earned, 6 hits, 0 walks, 6 strikeouts)
Washington College 4, Catholic 2 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- An RBI double by Colline in the bottom of the first put Catholic in front, 1-0. Estep evened the game at 1-1 with an RBI single in the top of the second.
- Catholic regained the lead in the bottom of the third when Rebecca Marks scored on an error. Estep leveled the score again in the top of the fourth with an RBI double to center and Leah Stokes put the Shorewomen in front, 3-2, with an infield RBI single in the next at bat.
- Estep scored the Shorewomen's fourth run on an error in the top of the seventh.
For the Shorewomen (15-13)
- Hitting: Estep (2-for-2, 2 RBI, run, walk); Butler (2-for-2, run)
- Pitching: Maddie Bennett (win, 7 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 hits, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts)
For Catholic (13-9)
- Hitting: Colline (double, RBI); Keleti (RBI, run, 3 stolen bases)
- Pitching: Sabrina Scott (loss, 7 innings, 4 runs, 2 earned, 8 hits, 2 walks, 0 strikeouts)
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/8 @ McDaniel (2) - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference double-header)