Stokes drives in career best three runs against the Knights
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — The Washington College softball team split a pair of non-conference games today at Oren Brown Park at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Florida. The Shorewomen defeated Mount St. Mary (N.Y.) 7-1 in the first game of the day, before dropping a 2-1 heartbreaker in eight innings against Gustavus Adolphus.
Washington College 7, Mount St. Mary (N.Y.) 1
How It Happened
- The Knights struck first in the top of the first inning when Amanda Almodovar scored from first base on a throwing error for a 1-0 lead.
- The Shorewomen scored three times in the bottom half of the third inning to grab the lead. Leah Stokes smacked a triple to right center field which scored Kerri Estep and Alli Saul, then scored on a wild pitch on the very next pitch thrown to give Washington a 3-1 lead.
- Washington put the game out of reach in the bottom half of the sixth inning. Saul doubled to left center field, scoring Taylor Harcum, to push the Shorewomen lead to 4-1. Stokes then drove home her third run of the game with a single to right field, scoring Saul to make it a 5-1 Washington lead. Erin Spinden then drew a bases loaded walk to score Allyson Meil and push the lead to 6-1, and Stokes then scored on a wild pitch to make it a 7-1 Shorewomen advantage and cap the scoring.
For the Shorewomen (7-6)
- Hitting: Stokes (2-for-4, three RBI's, two runs, triple), Saul (double, RBI, two runs), Spinden (two walks, RBI),
- Pitching: Maddie Bennett (win, 4-3, five innings, two hits, one unearned run, one walk, one strikeout), Milly Kawabata (save, 2, two innings, zero hits, zero runs, two walks, one strikeout).
- The Shorewomen had seven hits in the win, drew nine walks, and left eight runners on base.
- Washington committed one error, leading to the only run for the Knights.
For Mount St. Mary (N.Y.) (1-1)
- Hitting: Almodovar (hit, run scored).
- Pitching: Bridget Bennett (loss, 0-1, 2 2/3 innings, two hits, three runs, six walks, two strikeouts), Bianca Marletta (3 1/3 innings, five hits, four runs, three walks, zero strikeouts).
- The Knights had just two hits in the loss, drew three walks, and left six runners on base.
- Mount St. Mary (N.Y.) played a clean defensive game, committing zero errors.
- Stokes was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game.
Gustavus Adolphus 2, Washington College 1 (8 innings)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen struck first in the top of the first inning, as Spinden hit a bloop single to second base, which drove home Meil, to give Washington a 1-0 lead.
- The Gusties tied the game in the bottom of the first as Aly Freeman singled to left field to drive home Hannah Heacox.
- The Shorewomen had the potential go ahead run on third base in the top half of the sixth inning, but could not bring her home.
- The Gusties then loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the sixth, but Bennett, in relief, got the next two outs to end the threat.
- Both teams went down 1-2-3 in the seventh to send the game to extra innings.
- Freeman ended the game with an RBI single to the fence in left center field, driving in Heacox for the game winning run.
For the Shorewomen (7-7)
- Hitting: Meil (2-for-3, walk, run), Spinden (2-for-4, RBI).
- Pitching: Harcum (5 1/3 innings, five hits, one run, two walks, two strikeouts), Bennett (loss, 4-4, 2 innings, one hit, one unearned run, zero walks, two strikeouts).
- The Shorewomen collected six hits in the loss, drew a pair of walks, and left seven runners on base.
- Washington committed no defensive errors.
For Gustavus Adolphus (12-4)
- Hitting: Freeman (2-for-3, two RBI's, walk), Heacox (two runs).
- Pitching: Jena Willis (win, 6-1, eight innings, six hits, one run, two walks, four strikeouts.
- The Gusties also collected six hits in the win, drew a pair of walks, and left six runners on base.
- Gustavus Adolphus committed zero errors in the win.
- Meil was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game.
- This is the second consecutive day the Shorewomen fell in an extra innings contest after falling to Transylvania 5-4 in nine innings yesterday..
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/14 v. Marietta- 11:15 am @ Kissimmee, Fla. (non-conference game).
3/14 v. Cornell College- 3:45 pm @ Kissimmee, Fla. (non-conference game).
- Both games will be played at the Osceola County Softball Complex, where the Shorewomen played on Sunday.
- The Shorewomen are 0-2 against Marietta, most recently falling 3-0 in Florida in 2015.
- Washington and Cornell College will be playing for the first time.