Shorewomen Fall to Salisbury, Bounce Back with Win Over Clarkson
SALISBURY, Md. — The Washington College softball team split a pair of games at the Sea Gull Classic today. The Shorewomen fell to host Salisbury in their first game, 11-1, before bouncing back with an 8-3 win against Clarkson in their second game of the day.
Salisbury 11, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- The Sea Gulls took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when Caitlin Lake was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Salisbury's lead increased to 3-0 on a two-run double by Amelia Trotter in the top of the third. Trotter later scored on a wild pitch.
- The score remained 3-0 until Emily Allen hit a three-run home run for the Sea Gulls in the top of the fifth. The Sea Gulls added their final four runs in the top of the seventh, including two on a single by Kaila Beach and one on a double by Brooke Yerger.
- Kerrigan Buck doubled and later scored on a wild pitch for the Shorewomen in the bottom of the seventh.
For the Shorewomen (2-3)
- Hitting: Buck (1-for-1, double, run)
- Pitching: Maddie Bennett (loss, 4.2 innings, 7 runs, 6 earned, 4 hits, 5 strikeouts, 1 walk); Milly Kawabata (2 innings, 4 runs, no earned runs, 3 hits, 3 strikeouts, 2 walks)
For Salisbury (4-4)
- Hitting: Allen (2-for-3, 3 RBI, 2 runs, double); Trotter (2-for-3, 2 RBI, 2 runs, triple)
- Pitching: Rachael Milligan (win, 6 innings, 0 runs, 1 hit, 6 strikeouts, 4 walks); Brooke Mizelle (1 inning, 1 run, 1 hit, 1 strikeout)
Washington College 8, Clarkson 3
How It Happened
- Reanna Dunn gave Clarkson a 1-0 lead a double to left center in the bottom of the third.
- The Shorewomen answered in the top of the fourth as Erin Spinden hit an RBI double and scored on a sacrifice fly by Kerri Estep for a 2-1 lead.
- In the top of the sixth, Spinden scored on a throwing error and Estep drove in another run with her second sacrifice fly of the day, increasing Washington's lead to 4-1.
- Buck supplied the Shorewomen's fifth run with a sacrifice fly in the top of the seventh. Later in the inning, Bennett hit an RBI double and Alli Saul hit a two-run double as the lead ballooned to 8-1.
- Dunn drove in Clarkson's second run with an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh. Summer Lancette doubled a run in later in the inning to provide the final margin.
For the Shorewomen (3-3)
- Hitting: Spinden (3-for-4, 3 runs, RBI, double); Saul (3-for-4, 2 RBI, run, double); Allyson Meil (2-for-3, run, double); Elaina DiPrimio (2-for-4, run); Bennett (double, RBI, 2 runs); Buck (2 RBI); Estep (2 RBI)
- Pitching: Taylor Harcum (7 innings, 3 runs, 9 hits, 7 strikeouts, no walks)
For Clarkson (0-2)
- Hitting: Dunn (2-for-4, 2 RBI, run, double); Liz Caggiano (2-for-3, double); Bridget Woolley (triple, run)
- Pitching: Leah Allen (loss, 5 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned, 5 hits, 1 walk); Katie Pelton (2 innings, 6 runs, 4 earned, 6 hits)
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/5 v. Clarkson (at Salisbury - Sea Gull Classic) - 10:00 a.m.
3/5 @ Salisbury (Sea Gull Classic) - 2:00 p.m.