Bennett Hits Three-Run Home Run Against N.C. Wesleyan, Picks Up Win Against Salem
CARY, N.C. — The Washington College softball team opened its season with a pair of wins at the Grand Slam Triangle Classic in Cary, N.C., today. The Shorewomen opened with an 8-1 victory against North Carolina Wesleyan and capped off the day with a 3-2 triumph over Salem. Sophomore Maddie Bennett (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) hit a three-run home run against North Carolina Wesleyan and picked up the win in the circle against Salem.
Washington College 8, North Carolina Wesleyan 1
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen got off to a fast start, plating four runs before the Bishops could record the first out of the bottom of the first. Leah Stokes, who led off the inning with a walk, scored from second during a bunt single and ensuing throwing error by Elaina DiPrimio. Bennett than came to the plate and hit a three-run home run to center field.
- DiPrimio drove in Stokes with a single up the middle in the bottom of the fifth to make the score 5-1.
- North Carolina Wesleyan scored its only run of the game in the top of the sixth when Kaitlyn Checkan scored on a fielder's choice.
- In the bottom of the sixth, a pinch-hit sacrifice fly by Kasey Buck and a two-run single through the right side by Regan Horan provided the final runs for the Shorewomen.
- Taylor Harcum, who pitched the first six innings, and Milly Kawabata, who pitched the seventh combined to throw a two-hitter for the Shorewomen.
For the Shorewomen (1-0)
- Hitting: Bennett (home run, 3 RBI, run); DiPrimio (2-for-4, run, RBI); Erin Spinden (2-for-3, run); Stokes (1-for-2, 2 walks, 2 runs); Horan (1-for-2, 2 sacrifice bunts, 2 RBI, run)
- Pitching: Harcum (win, 6 innings, 1 run, 2 hits, 3 strikeouts, 2 walks); Kawabata (1 inning, no walks, no hits)
For North Carolina Wesleyan (1-4)
- Hitting: Checkan (1-for-2, run)
Washington College 3, Salem 2
How It Happened
- The game was scoreless until the top of the fifth inning when Kerri Estep drove in Alli Saul with a bunt single and Gabby Edwards scored on a fielder's choice to give the Shorewomen a 2-0 lead.
- In the top of the seventh, Spinden singled to left field to drive in Horan for Washington's third run.
- The Spirits mounted a two-out rally in the bottom of the seventh. Montana Lineberger plated a pair of runs with a single to center field. Kawabata then came on the relieve Bennett and got Briana Crumley to pop up in foul territory for the final out as Salem left runners on the corners and Kawabata earned the save.
For the Shorewomen (2-0)
- Hitting: Estep (2-for-3, RBI); Spinden (2-for-4, RBI); Stokes (2-for-4); DiPrimio (double, RBI)
- Pitching: Bennett (win, 6.2 innings, 2 runs, 4 hits, 9 strikeouts, 3 walks); Kawabata (save, 0.1 innings, no walks, no hits)
For Salem (6-3)
- Hitting: Lineberger (2-for-4, 2 RBI); Madison Burch (double)
- Pitching: Sydney Vaughn (7 innings, 2 earned runs, 9 hits, 1 strikeout, 2 walks)
Up Next for the Shorewomen
2/26 v. William Peace @ Cary, N.C. - 9:00 a.m.
2/26 v. Greensboro @ Cary, N.C. - 1:00 p.m.