Finishes Are Team's Best Thus Far in 2016-17 Academic Year
MONMOUTH, N.J. — The Washington College sailing team finished fourth of 18 teams at the Central Spring Open, hosted by Monmouth, and third of 10 teams at the Jeremy A. Pinkerton Memorial, hosted by Maryland, this weekend. The second- and fourth-place finishes are the two highest finishes to date for the team during the 2016-17 academic year.
Central Spring Open
How it Happened
- Skipper Alex Smith and crew Allison Cochran were fourth in A Division, finishing third, fourth, eighth, third, sixth, and 10th in the division's six races.
- Skipper Matt McDermaid and crew Lindsey Arnstein won B Division, placing first, first, fourth, seventh, fourth, and third in the division's races.
- Three A Division and two B Division races sailed on Saturday. Three A Division and four B Division races sailed on Sunday.
- Two squads of Fordham sailors captured first and third places overall at the regatta. Stony Brook was second, while Villanova was fifth.
- Strong winds on Saturday caused a morning postponement and an early end to racing. A number of capsizes took place during the races that did sail. Sunday saw breezes of 7-8 knots.
Jeremy A. Pinkerton Memorial
How it Happened
- Skipper Will Sunkler and crew Bridgette Hindt took fourth in A Division. Sunkler and Hindt finished second, third, sixth, fifth, fifth, fourth, and second in the division's races.
- Skipper Andrew Vernon and crew Griff Rodrigue placed third in B Division. After a breakdown in race 1B, Vernon and Rodrigue were second, third, third, third, fifth, and eighth in the remaining B Division races.
- A total of seven races in each division were completed at the regatta.
- Navy won the regatta, while Drexel was second. William and Mary (fourth) and Virginia (fifth) rounded out the top five.
- Conditions on Saturday were very windy, followed by a lack of wind the next day.
Up Next for the Washington College Sailing Team
4/15&16 @ The Grant (hosted by St. Mary's)
- The top six finishing teams at The Grant will qualify for the final six spots at the America Trophy, the MAISA Co-Ed Dinghy Spring Championships.