Team Posts Third Straight Win Over Cardinals
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Del Jenkins scored three minutes into the game as host Washington College defeated visiting Catholic University 1-0 in a non-conference men's soccer game played tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 1, Catholic 0
How It Happened
- The Shoremen got on the board just three minutes into the contest when Jenkins collected a loose ball in front of the goal and scored to give Washington an early 1-0 lead.
- Washington almost took a 2-0 lead in the 21st minute, but a shot from Christian Keller hit the post.
- Catholic held a 7-4 advantage in shots at the halftime break and took all three of the corner kicks in the opening half.
- Catholic had a chance to tie the game with 35:38 to play when Andrew Laurenzano grabbed a loose ball in front of the goal, but he sent his shot wide to the left.
- Heston Priestly sent a header on goal from the center of the box with 11:48 to go, but it was saved. It was the last shot on goal the Cardinals would get.
For the Shoremen (4-8)
- Scorers: Jenkins (one goal).
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (five saves, zero goals allowed, 90:00).
For Catholic (4-6-4)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Zachery Tashjy (one save, one goal allowed, 45:00), Ryan Cassidy (two saves, zero goals allowed, 45:00).
- The Cardinals held a 16-12 advantage in shots and a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- The Shoremen have now won their last three meetings in a row against Catholic.
- Jenkins was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the broadcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
10/14 v. Haverford - 5:00 p.m.