Samuels Makes Four Saves In The Loss
ST MARY'S CITY, Md. — Isaac Ekobo scored the game's only goal with 4:47 to go to lift host St. Mary's College of Maryland to a 1-0 victory over visiting Washington College in a non-conference men's soccer game played today at Seahawk Stadium in St. Mary's City, Maryland.
St. Mary's College of Maryland 1, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- Andrew Battin put the first shot on goal of the game for the Seahawks with 24:35 to go in the opening half, but it was saved by Shoremen goalkeeper Josh Samuels.
- Kyle Gaeffke had the Shoremen's only shot on goal of the opening half with just six seconds to go, but it was saved by Seahawks goalkeeper Zack Haussler.
- St. Mary's held a 12-3 advantage in shots at the halftime break and a 7-0 advantage in corner kicks.
- Michael Holowesko took the first shot on goal of the second half for the Shoremen just 2:28 into the half, but his shot was saved.
- St. Mary's took the lead with just 4:47 to go when Ekobo finished a cross from Tyler Kurack with a one-time shot into the middle of the goal.
- Gaeffke had a chance to tie the game for the Shoremen with 1:47 to go, but his shot was saved, and the Shoremen never got another shot off.
For the Shoremen (0-2)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Samuels (four saves, one goal allowed, 90:00).
For St. Mary's College of Maryland (2-1)
- Scorers: Ekobo (one goal), Kurack (one assist).
- Goalkeeper: Haussler (three saves, zero goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Seahawks outshot the Shoremen 22-10 and had a 13-2 advantage in corner kicks.
Up Next for the Shoremen
9/9 v. Gordon - 2:30 p.m. (Game played in Carlisle, PA)
- It will be the first meeting between the two programs and will be a part of the Dickinson College Tournament, which will also see the Shoremen play Lycoming on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.