Metzer Goes 18-for-26 on Face-Offs in the Win
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Sophomore Carson Metzker (Fort Washington, Pa./Germantown Academy) went 18-for-26 on face-offs to lead host Washington College to a 13-9 Centennial Conference men's lacrosse win over visiting Haverford tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 13, Haverford 9
How It Happened
- After Tanner Barbieri scored the opening goal for the Shoremen, Haverford countered with three unanswered goals, capped off by a Rob McLallen score with 8:32 to go in the first quarter. The Shoremen responded with a goal by Nick Boyles off a Cooper Sloan assist at 4:08 and a Charles Walker tally at 2:12 to even the game at the end of one.
- The Shoremen opened the second quarter with a pair of quick goals as Boyles scored off a Brady O'Neill feed with 14:20 showing and O'Neill then scored off a Peter Jacobs assist 19 seconds later for a 5-3 lead. Patrick Girard and McLallen then scored for Haverford with 10:55 and 8:41 left in the half, respectively, before Kevin Trapp scored off a Boyles pass with 6:40 left for a 6-5 Shoremen halftime lead.
- Barbieri scored the only two goals of the third quarter - the first with 10:10 on the clock and the second off a Jacobs pass with 3:35 remaining to give Washington an 8-5 cushion heading into the fourth quarter.
- Tyler Powers scored off a Boyles assist with 13:53 left in the fourth to push the lead to four before Haverford mounted a rally. Max Ellis started things off with a goal just eight seconds after the ensuing face-off. Stephen DeLeo then scored two goals, off assists from Kevin Goshorn and McLallen, to cut the lead to 9-8 with 10:46 to go.
- Walker put a stop to the Fords' run with a goal with 7:16 to play and then found Trapp for an extra-man goal at the 5:10 mark for an 11-8 lead. McLallen found Ben Frost for a Haverford goal at 2:55 to trim the margin to 11-9, but Sloan scored off a Trey Ritter assist at 1:26 to up the lead to 12-9. Ritter closed out the scoring with a goal off a Boyles pass with 44 seconds left.
For the Shoremen (8-4, 3-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring: Boyles (2 goals, 3 assists); Barbieri (3 goals); Walker (2 goals, assist); Sloan (goal, 2 assists); Trapp (2 goals); O'Neill (goal, assist); Ritter (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (9 saves, 9 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Sam Cloud tallied eight ground balls for the Shoremen, while Kevin Wilson had seven. Metzker added five to go along with his 18 face-off wins.
- The Shoremen held a 34-31 advantage in shots and a 37-26 advantage in ground balls in the win.
For Haverford (6-6, 2-3 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring: DeLeo (4 goals); McLallen (2 goals, 2 assists); Girard (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Dylan Slack (8 saves, 13 goals allowed, 59:29)
- Metzker was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game at the conclusion of the webcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/15 @ Centenary (N.J.) - 1:00 p.m.