Shoremen End Game with Seven Unanswered Goals
ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Visiting Washington College scored the final seven goals of the game en route to a 13-3 Centennial Conference men's lacrosse win over host Muhlenberg this afternoon in Allentown, Pa.
Washington College 13, Muhlenberg 3
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored the first four goals of the game, getting one each from Brady O'Neill, Casey Grieves, Kevin Trapp (extra-man), and Trey Ritter in that stretch for a 4-0 lead less than eight minutes into the game. Muhlenberg got on the board with 1:50 left in the first quarter thanks to a Brad D'Alessandro goal off an assist from Drew Rafferty.
- Frankie Feaster cut the Washington lead to 4-2 when he scored with 11:47 left in the second quarter, but Grieves countered with a goal off a Cooper Sloan pass with 10:15 remaining and Tyler Powers followed with a goal with 5:21 to go to give the Shoremen a 6-2 halftime lead.
- After the Mules opened the third-quarter scoring with a goal by D'Alessandro to narrow the lead to three, the Shoremen went on their big run. Powers recorded two goals and two assists during that span; when the dust settled, the Shoremen had a 13-3 lead following a goal by Zachary Gorrasi with 3:21 remaining.
For the Shoremen (7-4, 2-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring: Powers (3 goals, 2 assists); Grieves (3 goals, assist); Tanner Barbieri (goal, 2 assists); Sloan (goal, assist), Gorrasi (goal, assist)
- Goalie: Ben Flood (11 saves, 3 goals allowed, 55:56); Shane Silk (1 save, 4:04)
- Powers also had a team-best five ground balls in the win.
- The Shoremen enjoyed a sizable 52-26 advantage in shots in the game.
For Muhlenberg (2-7, 0-3 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring: D'Alessandro (2 goals)
- Goalie: Lance Gibson (20 saves, 12 goals allowed, 54:40); Garrett Pope (2 saves, 1 goal allowed, 5:20)
- Feaster went 12-for-19 on face-offs and scooped up a game-best 10 ground balls for Muhlenberg.
- Flood has now made 33 saves and allowed just eight goals over the Shoremen's past two games.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/12 v. Haverford - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)