Powers and Trapp each record hat tricks in the loss
CARLISLE, Pa. — Ninth-ranked and host Dickinson College jumped out to a 6-2 halftime lead and held off a furious rally from visiting Washington College to claim a 9-8 victory in Centennial Conference men's lacrosse action today at Biddle Field in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
#9 Dickinson 9, Washington College 8
How It Happened
- Kevin Trapp got the Shoremen on the board with 13:05 to go in the opening quarter, scoring off a feed from Tyler Powers.
- The Red Devils then scored the next three goals to grab a 3-1 lead, with an unassisted goal from Brodie Phillips capping the run with 14:11 to go in the second quarter.
- Powers stopped the run with a goal off of a Nick Boyles pass with 10:00 to go in the second quarter to cut the Dickinson lead to 3-2, but the Red Devils would score the last three goals of the half, capped by a Nate Usich goal off a Tucker Carney assist with 4:18 to go, to take a 6-2 lead into halftime.
- Dickinson capped the run at five goals when Tyler Strods scored with 14:06 to go in the third quarter to push the Dickinson lead to 7-2.
- Powers stopped the run with a goal off a Boyles assist with 9:55 to go in the third quarter to cut the Dickinson lead to 7-3, but the Red Devils responded by scoring the next two goals to push the lead to 9-3 with 6:57 to go in the third quarter.
- Tanner Barbieri cut the lead to 9-4 with an unassisted goal with 5:18 left in the third quarter as the Shoremen trailed 9-4 after three quarters.
- Trapp scored the first goal of the fourth quarter with 9:36 to go to cut the Red Devils lead to 9-5, and Barbieri followed with his second goal of the game with 3:54 to go to cut Dickinson's lead to 9-6. Powers then scored his third goal of the game off an assist from Boyles with 3:25 to go to slice the Red Devils lead to 9-7.
- An extra man goal from Trapp cut the Dickinson lead to 9-8 with 14 seconds to go, but the Red Devils won the ensuing faceoff and ran out the clock to hold on for the win, as the Shoremen finished the game by scoring the last five goals.
For the Shoremen (5-3, 0-1 Centennial)
- Scorers: Powers (three goals, one assist), Trapp (three goals), Barbieri (two goals), Boyles (three assists).
- Goalie: Ben Flood (six saves, nine goals allowed, 60:00).
- The Shoremen outshot Dickinson 39-30 and went 20-for-21 on their clearing attempts.
- Washington turned the ball over 10 times, while forcing Dickinson into 18 turnovers of their own.
For #9 Dickinson (6-1, 1-0 Centennial)
- Scorers: Strods (two goals, one assist), Dylan Maher (one goal, two assists), Carney (one goal, one assist), Nick Goles (one goal, one assist), Mike Menkes (one goal, one assist), Usich (one goal), Brodie Phillips (one goal), Tyler Llewellyn (one goal).
- Goalie: Andrew Jones (15 saves, eight goals allowed, 60:00).
- Dickinson won a commanding 16 of the game's 21 faceoffs and held a 27-19 advantage in ground balls.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/29 v. #14 Ursinus - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- Ursinus scored the last six goals of the game to post a 10-4 win in Collegeville last season.