Conners Scores in Loss for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Franklin & Marshall remained unbeaten in league play by holding on for a 2-1 Centennial Conference field hockey win over host Washington College this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
#13 Franklin & Marshall 2, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen struck first when Michaela Conners scored off a cross inside the circle from Maggie Cancelmo with 17:04 on the clock in the first half. Washington scored that goal while playing down for a five-minute stretch due to a yellow card.
- F&M tied things up with 10:36 left in the first when Annie Horsley scored by making a move around a defender in the circle and sending the ball past Washington goalkeeper Morgan Domanico.
- The Diplomats took the lead on a penalty stroke by Horsley 85 seconds after the tying goal.
- Washington controlled possession early in the second half with Kailyn Brandt sending a shot on goal, to be saved by Ilianna Santangelo, 5:07 into the period. Nicole Schroyer sent shot wide three minutes later, but the Diplomats would then keep the Shorewomen out of the circle for most of the rest of the half.
- The Shorewomen were awarded a penalty corner with 1:32 left in the game, but a shot by Brandt that was deflected wide and out of bounds was Washington's only scoring chance on that final possession as F&M held on for the win.
For the Shorewomen (8-6, 6-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Conners (goal), Cancelmo (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Domanico (8 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Courtney Rainey had a defensive save for the Shorewomen.
For Franklin & Marshall (11-2, 8-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Horsley (2 goals)
- Goalkeeper: Santangelo (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- F&M held a 17-6 advantage in shots and a 9-3 edge in penalty corners in the game.
- F&M first-year head coach Kaitlyn Eager and Washington first-year head coach Anne Kietzman were teammates for one season at William Smith. Eager graduated from that school in 2010; Kietzman followed three years later.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/21 v. Roanoke - 1:00 p.m.
- The game against Roanoke will be the Shorewomen's Senior Day game.