E. Pantazes Scores Game-Winning Goal
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Junior forward Emily Pantazes (Middletown, Del./Middletown) scored the game-winning goal with 13:20 remaining in the second overtime to give host Washington College a 3-2 win over visiting Gettysburg in the Centennial Conference field hockey opener for both teams this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 3, Gettysburg 2 (2OT)
How It Happened
- Grace Steele gave the Shorewomen an early 1-0 lead when she tipped in a ball right at the post after receiving a loss pass through the circle from Kailyn Brandt 2:19 into the contest.
- The Bullets tied it up with 26:48 left in the first half when Lindsay Kraus sent a pass across the top of the circle during a penalty corner to Emma Bertrando who blasted the ball in.
- Gettysburg took the lead on Bertrando's second goal, blasting a ball in from the right side off a pass from Lily Neibart with 6:32 on the clock.
- Brandt evened the score for the Shorewomen with an impressive goal with 11:38 remaining in the second half, dribbling past a defender and scoring with a reverse-stick shot.
- The Shorewomen had a chance to take the lead with 1:04 left in regulation, but a penalty stroke by Sophie Grabiec was saved by Haley Mowery.
- Pantazes scored her game-winner on a short rebound after shot by Olivia Auer was saved by Mowery.
For the Shorewomen (3-3, 1-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Brandt (goal, assist), Pantazes (goal), Steele (goal)
- Goalkeeper: Morgan Domanico (9 saves, 2 goals allowed, 86:40)
- The Shorewomen had a 21-19 advantage in shots and an 11-6 advantage in penalty corners in the game.
For Gettysburg (1-4, 0-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Bertrando (2 goals), Kraus (assist), Neibart (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Mowery (11 saves, 3 goals allowed, 86:40)
- Pantazes was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game on the broadcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/20 @ Bryn Mawr - 4:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)