Schroyer Chalks Up Goal, Assist in Win
DOVER, Del. — Visiting Washington College picked up its first victory of the season with a decisive 4-1 win over home-standing Wesley College in a non-conference field hockey game tonight at Scott D. Miller Stadium.
Washington College 4, Wesley 1
How It Happened
- The Wolverines had a pair of penalty corners and a shot within the first seven minutes, but the Shorewomen controlled possesion for the large majority of the first half after that.
- The Shorewomen got on the board on a goal by Nicole Schroyer with 8:14 remaining in the first half.
- Schroyer then assisted on a goal by Emily Pantazes with 3:34 left in the period, sending a ball from the top of the arc to Pantazes, who redirected it into the goal.
- The Shorewomen finished the first half with an 11-2 advantage in shots, six of them going on goal.
- Washington's third goal came just 2:52 into the second half as Kailyn Brandt found a wide open Grace Steele near the left post for a goal.
- Megan Ritchey tacked on the Shorewomen's fourth goal on a penalty stroke with 12:41 to go in the game.
- Brittany Bishop spoiled the shutout, putting Wesley on the board with just 14 seconds left.
For the Shorewomen (1-2)
- Scorers: Schroyer (goal, assist), E. Pantazes (goal), Steele (goal), Brandt (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Morgan Domanico (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- The Shorewomen had a 16-4 advantage in shots in the game, putting 10 on goal to Wesley's two. Washington also held a 9-2 advantage in penalty corners.
For Wesley (0-3)
- Scorers: Bishop (goal)
- Goalkeepers: Sidney Knott (3 saves, 3 goals allowed, 43:21); Lauren Berry (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 26:39)
- Alexis Howerin had a defensive save in the loss for the Wolverines.
- Schroyer's goal and assist were both the first of her collegiate career. Steele and Brandt tallied their first collegiate goal and assist, respectively. Ritchey's penalty stroke was her first collegiate goal.
- The win was the first for the Shorewomen under head coach Anne Kietzman, who took over the program earlier this calendar year.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/9 @ Stevenson - 7:00 p.m.