Pantazes Sisters Connect on Shorewomen's First-Half Goal
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Lauren Paolano scored the game-winning goal with 7:08 left in the first overtime period to give visiting Washington and Lee a 2-1 overtime win over host Washington College in a non-conference field hockey game today on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington and Lee 2, Washington College 1 (OT)
How It Happened
- The first shot of the game came with 22:05 remaining in the first half as Washington's Catherine Keirn had a shot from just inside the middle of the circle stopped by Washington and Lee goalkeeper Ariyel Yavalar.
- Washington got on the board 7:38 left in the period when Emily Pantazes scored from the middle of the circle after receiving a pass from the edge of the circle from Alison Pantazes during a penalty corner. Kailyn Brandt helped set up the goal by creating the corner with her shot on goal during the previous play.
- The Generals evened the score at 1-1 on a goal by Grace Bowen with 30:28 left in regulation. Bowen scored from near the top of the circle on a rebound of a shot taken by Haley Tucker and kicked away by Washington goalkeeper Morgan Domanico.
- A shot by Bowen with 3:17 to go in the second half deflected off Domanico and was stopped from going in the goal by Katie Arnold.
- Tucker had a good chance to score 2:30 into overtime, but sent a shot just wide of the cage during a transition opportunity.
- Paoloano had a one-on-one with Domanico about two minutes later, but Domanico made a diving save to knock the ball out of bounds with 10:17 on the clock.
- Paoloano's game-winner came after she received a pass in transition, played the ball past Arnold, and beat Domanico in a one-on-one situation.
For the Shorewomen (0-2)
- Scorers: E. Pantazes (goal), A. Pantazes (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Domanico (7 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Arnold's defensive save was her second in as many games this season.
For Washington and Lee (1-1)
- Scorers: Paolano (goal), Bowen (goal)
- Goalkeeper: Yavalar (4 saves,1 goal allowed, 70:00)
- The Generals held a 15-7 advantage in shots and a 10-5 advantage in penalty corners in the game.
- Emily Pantazes was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game during the webcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/7 @ Wesley - 7:00 p.m.