Bendzlowicz Caps Five-Run Eighth with Two-Run Double for Shoremen
SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Host Swarthmore scored the game's first 18 runs to register a 19-5 win over visiting Washington College on Friday afternoon at Clothier Baseball Field in Centennial Conference baseball action. The Garnet improve to 16-6 overall and 3-1 in the Centennial with the win, while the Shoremen fall to 16-9 and 0-4 respectively.
Swarthmore 19 Washington College 5
How It Happened
- Swarthmore got onto the scoreboard in the bottom of the second when with nobody out Conor Elliott doubled to left to score Jackson Roberts. The next hitter, Coleson Hebble launched a three-run home run over the fence in left to also score Jared Gillen and Elliott to give the Garnet a 4-0 lead. The hosts added three more runs in the bottom of the second to post a 7-0 advantage after two.
- The Garnet tacked on five runs in the bottom of the third to push their lead to 12-0.
- Swarthmore scored two runs each in the last of the fifth, sixth and seventh innings to push its cushion to 18-0.
- Washington scored five times in the top of the eighth to reduce Swarthmore's bulge to 18-5.
- The hosts added a run in the last of the eighth to provide the final margin.
For The Shoremen (16-9, 0-4 CC)
- Hitting: Chris Bauers (1-for-1, run, RBI), Joe Otto (1-for-2, run), Alex Bendzlowicz (1-for-1, two RBI)
- Pitching: P.J. Mikulus (loss 4-1, two-plus innings, eight hits, 10 runs, nine earned, two walks, zero strikeouts)
- Washington had six hits, drew five walks and had a hitter reach via hit by pitch while leaving seven on base.
- The Shoremen had three errors in the game, leading to three unearned runs for the Garnet.
For Swarthmore (16-6, 3-1 CC)
- Hitting: AJ Liu (2-for-4, three RBI, two runs), Elliott (4-for-6, three runs, two RBI), Hebble (three RBI, two runs, home run), Cole Beeker (2-for-5, three RBI), Gillen (3-for-6, two runs), Matt Palmer (4-for-6, four runs, three RBI), Roberts (2-for-4, run), Sam Jacobson (three runs, two RBI, two walks)
- Pitching: Ryan Warm (win 2-0, seven shutout innings, two hits and two walks, three strikeouts)
- The Garnet notched 21 hits and drew five walks as they left 11 on base.
- Swarthmore had two errors in the game, but it did not lead to a Washington run.
4/8 v. Gettysburg – 12:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference Doubleheader)
- Gettysburg is the alma mater of Shoremen Nine head coach Cory Beddick, a 2010 graduate.