Washington Wins 3-2 in First Game and 6-3 in Second Contest
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Host Washington College swept a non-conference doubleheader against visiting Roger Williams on Saturday at Athey Baseball Park. The Shoremen took game one, 3-2, and rallied from 3-0 down to win, 6-3, in game two. The Shoremen are now 4-1 on the year, while the Hawks are 0-2.
Washington College 3 Roger Williams 2 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- Washington broke through in the bottom of the fourth inning with a two-run, one-out, single through the right side of the drawn in Roger Williams infield by Ryan Donnelly to score both Evan Hirschbaum and Ryan Zwier. Hirschbaum and Zwier led off the frame with back-to-back walks. The hosts would lead 2-0 after four innings.
- Zwier extended the lead to 3-0 in the last of the fifth when he plated Aaron Barclay on a single down the right field line.
- In the top of the ninth with two out and nobody on, the Hawks got a pair of singles by Noah Keefe and Tyler Cedeno and chased Shoremen starting pitcher P.J. Mikulus from the game. New Washington pitcher Sean Weiss almost struck out Danny Roth on a 1-2 pitch, but Roth was able to foul tip it and on the next pitch, Roth served a double in the right-center to score Eddy Jackson and Cedeno. Weiss however finished the job as he stepped off the rubber and threw to Barclay at third to nab Roth who was trying to steal third to end the game.
For The Shoremen (3-1)
- Hitting: Donnelly (1-for-2, two RBI), Zwier (1-for-2, two walks, run scored, RBI)
- Pitching: Mikulus (win 2-0, 8 2/3 innings, five hits, two runs, two earned, one walk, four strikeouts), Weiss (save 1, 1/3 inning, one hit)
- Washington had five hits and drew four walks, while leaving seven on base.
- The Shoremen had zero errors in the game.
For Roger Williams (0-1)
- Hitting: Roth (2-for-4, two RBI)
- Pitching: Jimmy Smith (loss 0-1, five innings, five hits, three runs, three earned, three walks, five strikeouts), Matt Vernacatola (three scoreless innings of relief, one walk, three strikeouts)
- The Hawks notched six hits and worked out one walk as they left four on base.
- The visitors had one error in the game, leading to zero unearned runs for WC.
- Mikulus was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the webcast of the contest.
- It was the first ever game between Roger Williams and Washington College.
Washington College 4 Roger Williams 3 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Roger Williams scored the game's opening run with a two-out single by Justin Stone that got past a diving Luke D'Ostilio at second base that allowed Roth to score and give the Hawks a 1-0 lead.
- The Hawks scored a pair of runs in the top of the third inning to push their lead to three. With one out, Dean DePrata doubled down the right field line to score Bryan Goodwin to make it 2-0 and the next hitter Chris Bosco singled up the middle to plate DePrata to give Roger Williams a 3-0 lead.
- Washington took the lead for good with a five-run fourth. With nobody out, Matt Tancredi singled up the middle to drive in Hirschbaum to trim it to 3-1. With two outs, Tancredi scored on an infield single off the bat of Max Hammond to trim the lead to 3-2. The next hitter, Chris Kramedas tripled to left-center to plate both Joe Lozupone and Hammond to give WC a 4-3 lead. Kramedas would come home on a single to right-center by D'Ostilio to cap a five-run outburst.
- The Shoremen extended their lead to three with one out when Hammond dropped a suicide squeeze bunt to plate TC Conrad.
- Roger Williams did not get the tying run to the plate in the last three times to the dish.
For The Shoremen (4-1)
- Hitting: Kramedas (1-for-3, two RBI), Tancredi (RBI, run), Hammond (1-for-2, RBI, run)
- Pitching: Brian Kasey (win 1-0, five innings, three hits, three runs, two earned, one walk, four strikeouts), Nick Roberti (three innings, one hit, zero runs and walks, three strikeouts), Nick Popolizio (save 2, one inning, one strikeout)
- Washington had seven hits, drew one walk, while leaving three on base.
- The Shoremen had one error in the game, leading to one Roger Williams unearned run.
For Roger Williams (0-2)
- Hitting: DePrata (1-for-4, run, RBI)
- Pitching: Sam Bennett (loss 0-1, 6 1/3 innings, seven hits, six runs, five earned, one walk, three strikeouts), Ty Sarra (1 2/3 innings, zero hits, one strikeout)
- The Hawks notched four hits and drew one walk as they left three on base.
- The visitors had one error in game two, did not lead to a WC run as a passed ball led to Washington's unearned run.
- Kramedas was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the webcast of the contest.
- Allison Gallagher, a freshman on the Shorewomen Swimming team is the daughter of Jim Gallagher, who is the Assistant Director of Athletics for Recreational Services and Facilities at Roger Williams.
3/5 @ #21 Salisbury – 2:30 p.m. (Non-Conference Game)
- Team's road opener.