SWARTHMORE, Pa. — Host Swarthmore College jumped out to an 8-0 lead after three innings en route to a 12-2 Centennial Conference baseball win over visiting Washington College this afternoon.
Swarthmore 12, Washington College 2
How It Happened
- RBI singles by Conor Elliott, Max Grullon, and Matt Palmer keyed a four-run inning for Swarthmore in the bottom of the first as the Garnet staked out an early 4-0 lead.
- A two-run double by Elliott, an RBI single by Cole Beeker, and another RBI single by Palmer stretched the lead to 8-0 in the bottom of the third. An infield single by Grullon in the bottom of the fourth, drove in the Garnet's ninth run.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Ryan Burnett drove in a run with a double to center field for Swarthmore's 10th run and AJ Liu drove in two more runs with a double to right.
- Ryan Donnelly singled to center field to drive in the Shoremen's first run of the game in the top of the eighth. Mike Mann drove in the second with a double in the ninth.
For the Shoremen (9-14, 0-3 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Aaron Barclay (2-for-4); Joe Lozupone (1-for-2, run); Mann (1-for-1, double, RBI); Donnelly (1-for-1, RBI)
- Pitching: P.J. Mikulus (loss, 3 innings, 8 runs, 5 earned, 10 hits, 0 walks, 0 strikeouts); Mike Bartels (3 innings, 1 run, 1 earned, 3 hits, 1 walk, 1 strikeout)
For Swarthmore (8-15, 1-2 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Grullon (3-for-5, 2 runs, 2 RBI, double); Palmer (2-for-4, 2 RBI); Beeker (2-for-5, run, RBI); Burnett (2-for-4, RBI, double); Charles Levitt (2-for-4, 2 runs); Wesley Fishburn (2-for-4, 2 runs); Elliott (1-for-4, 3 runs, 2 RBI, double)
- Pitching: Sawyer Lake (win, 7 innings, 0 runs, 4 hits, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts)
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/7 v. Swarthmore - 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)