D'Ostilio Goes 3-for-4 in Game One Win
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Washington College baseball team opened its stay at the Gene Cusic Classic in Fort Myers, Fla., today by splitting a double-header with Bethel (Minn.) University. The Shoremen won the first game, 6-2, but the Royals took the second, 6-4.
Washington College 6, Bethel (Minn.) 2 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- In the top of the second, an RBI single by Luke D'Ostilio and a three-run double by Matt Tancredi gave the Shoremen a 4-0 lead. A two-out RBI single by Sam Horner in the bottom of the second got the Royals on the board.
- D'Ostilio drove in a run for the Shoremen with a single and Joe Otto drove in another on a fielder's choice in the top of the sixth to increase the lead to 6-1. An RBI single by Brandon Meye in the bottom of the sixth cut that lead to 6-2.
For the Shoremen (4-5)
- Hitting: D'Ostilio (3-for-4, 1 run, 2 RBI, 1 stolen base); Tancredi (double, 3 RBI); Aaron Barclay (2-for-3, run, walk); Charlie Meder (2-for-4, run); Ryan Zwier (2-for-4, run);
- Pitching: Billy Griffin (win, 5.2 innings, 2 runs, 4 hits, 4 strikeouts, 2 walks); Sean Weiss (1.1 innings, no runs 1 hit, 1 strikeout)
For Bethel (6-2)
- Hitting: Lars Anderson (1-for-2, run, walk); Sam Horner (1-for-2, RBI); Bryce Marquardt (1-for-3, run)
- Pitching: Michael Bohlke (loss, 3.1 innings, 4 runs, 7 hits, 3 strikeouts, 2 walks); Houston Droel (3.2 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned, 4 hits, 2 strikeouts)
Bethel (Minn.) 6, Washington College 4 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Marquardt scored during a double play to give Bethel a 1-0 lead in the top of the first. D'Ostilio tripled and then scored on a fielder's choice hit into by Aaron Barclay in the bottom of the first to tie the score.
- The Shoremen took the lead on an RBI double by Evan Hirschbaum in the bottom of the third.
- Jake Schubert answered for the Royals in the top of the fourth, driving in two runs with a double and later scoring on an error to put Bethel in front, 4-2. An RBI double by Ryan Zwier in the bottom of the inning got the Shoremen to back to within a run and an RBI single by Max Hammond later in the inning evened the score.
- Hornerr put Bethany back in front with a sacrifice fly in the top of the fifth. Maquardt scored during a fielder's choice in the top of the sixth to extend the Bethel lead to 6-4.
For the Shoremen (4-6)
- Hitting: Zwier (double, run, RBI); D'Ostilio (triple, run)
- Pitching: P.J. Mikulus (loss, 4 innings, 5 runs, 7 hits, 3 strikeouts, 3 walks); Matt Furlong (2 innings, 1 run, 1 hit, 2 walks, 1 strikeout); Nick Popolizio (1 inning, no runs, 1 hit, 1 strikeout, 1 walk)
For Bethel (7-2)
- Hitting: Michael Wesner (3-for-3, run); Marquardt (2-for-3, 2 runs, walk, stolen base); Schubert (double, 2 RBI, run)
- Pitching: David Cushing (3 innings, 4 runs, 5 hits, 1 strikeouts); Carson Selin (win, 4 innings, no runs, 2 hits, 2 strikeouts)
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/13 v. Wisconsin Lutheran - 12:00 p.m. (at Fort Myers, Fla.)