Benson & Popolizio Combine for Three-Hit Shutout in First Game
FREDERICK, Md. — The Washington College baseball team swept a non-conference double-header from host Hood College this afternoon, taking game one, 9-0, and game two, 5-2. Sophomore pitcher Billy Benson (Bel Air, Md./Patterson Mill) and junior pitcher Nick Popolizio (Collegeville, Pa./Germantown Academy) combined to pitch a three-hit shutout in the opener.
Washington College 9, Hood 0 (Game One)
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored the only run of the first five innings when Chris Kramedas came across the plate on an RBI groundout by Wes Robertson in the top of the third.
- The Shoremen added eight runs in the sixth, the first two during a botched fielder's choice that plated Evan Hirschbaum and Robertson on a Hood error. Ryan Zwier then drove in Charlie Meder with a double down the left field line. Aaron Barclay scored on a bases-loaded walk drawn by Luke D'Ostilio and Zwier scored on a wild pitch. Robertson, who led off the inning with a walk, drove in D'Ostilio and Chris Kramedas with a single in his second plate appearance of the frame. Robertson came around to score again on a Hirschbaum double to account for the eighth and final run of the inning.
For the Shoremen (2-4)
- Hitting: D'Ostilio (2-for-3, run, RBI, double, walk); Robertson (1-for-2, 3 RBI, 2 runs, 2 walks, stolen base); Hirschbaum (2-for-4, run, RBI, double); Zwier (2-for-4, run, RBI, double); Meder (run, RBI); Kramedas (2 walks, 2 runs)
- Pitching: Benson (6 innings, no runs, 3 hits, 4 strikeouts, 1 walk); Popolizio (1 inning, no runs, no hits, 1 strikeout, 2 walks)
For Hood (1-2)
- Hitting: Josh Greenberg (1 hit, 1 walk)
- Pitching: Nate Luscombe (loss, 5 innings, 6 runs, 2 earned, 5 hits, 4 strikeouts, 3 walks); Jake Franke (1 inning, no runs, 1 hit)
Washington College 5, Hood 2 (Game Two)
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored four runs in the top of the first. Meder drove in D'Ostilio with a single, Barclay drove in both Meder and Joe Otto with a two-run single, and Barclay scored on a wild pitch. All four runs scored with two outs in the inning.
- Robertson drove in Gavin O'Donnell with a double to center field in the top of the second to increase the lead to 5-0.
- Greenberg scored during a double play for the Blazers' first run of the double-header in the bottom of the third. He also scored their second run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the fifth.
For the Shoremen (3-4)
- Hitting: O'Donnell (2-for-3, run); Meder (2-for-4, run, RBI); Otto (2-for-4, run); Barclay (2 RBI, run); Robertson (double, RBI)
- Pitching: Logan Dubbé (win, 5 innings, 2 runs, 7 hits, 2 strikeouts, 3 walks); Nick Roberti (save, 2 innings, no runs, no hits, 1 walk)
For Hood (1-3)
- Hitting: Greenberg (3-for-3, 2 runs, walk); Cam Esposito (2-for-4)
- Pitching: Travis Schweizer (loss, 3 innings, 5 runs, 4 earned, 9 hits, 4 strikeouts); Andrew Catone (2 innings, no runs, 1 hit, 1 strikeout); Des Grimes (1 inning, no runs, 2 hits); Connor Henniges (1 inning, no runs, no hits)
- Hirschbaum picked up his 99th career hit in the second game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/9 v. Penn State-Harrisburg - 3:00 p.m.