D'Ostilio drives in three runs as team records three triples
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Billy Griffin recorded fourteen strikeouts while allowing no walks over seven scoreless innings as host Washington College defeated visiting Dean 10-2 in a non-conference baseball game played today at Athey Park in Chestertown, Maryland.
Washington College 10, Dean 2
How It Happened
- The Shoremen got on the board in the bottom half of the fourth inning as Ryan Zwier scored on a wild pitch after hitting a standup triple to right field. Later in the inning, Luke D'Ostilio laid down a sacrifice squeeze bunt, driving in Joe Lozupone from third base to extend the lead to 2-0. Chris Kramedas then scored on a wild pitch to give the Shoremen a 3-0 lead.
- The Shoremen scored four more times in the bottom of the sixth. Wes Robertson singled up the middle, driving home Kramedas and D'Ostilio, to extend the lead to 5-0. Robertson later came around to score on a balk to extend the lead to 6-0. The Shoremen made it a 7-0 game later in the inning when Charlie Meder tripled to right field to drive home Evan Hirschbaum.
- An RBI single to center field from D'Ostilio scored Kramedas and extended the Shoremen lead to 8-0 in the bottom of the seventh inning, followed by a Gavin O'Donnell sacrifice fly which scored D'Ostilio to extend the lead to 9-0.
- The Bulldogs got on the board in the top half of the eighth inning when John Cerretani hit into a fielders choice, scoring Christian Ponce. Conor Gallery then drew a bases loaded walk which scored Kyle Winn to cut the lead to 9-2.
- D'Ostilio grabbed his third RBI of the day with a single through the left side which scored Zwier to cap the scoring at 10-2 in the bottom of the eighth.
For the Shoremen (1-4)
- Hitting: D'Ostilio (3-for-5, three RBI's, two runs), Robertson (2-for-3, two RBI's, triple, walk, run, stolen base), Meder (2-for-4, one RBI, triple, stolen base), Zwier (2-for-5, two runs, triple), Kramedas (three walks, three runs).
- Pitching: Griffin (win, 1-1, seven innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 14 strikeouts), Connor Morgan (1 1/3 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout).
- The Shoremen had 14 hits in the win, drew eight walks, and stole five bases, but left 13 runners on base.
- Washington committed two errors, but it lead to zero unearned runs.
For Dean (0-1)
- Hitting: Cerretani (RBI), Callery (RBI, walk).
- Pitching: Victor Paiva, Jr. (Loss, 0-1, 3 2/3 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs, 6 walks, 3 strikeouts), Kyle Priest (1 2/3 innings, 4 hits, 3 runs, 1 walk), Javier Garmon (one inning, 5 hits, 3 runs, 1 strikeout).
- The Bulldogs had just five hits and drew three walks in the loss.
- Dean committed two errors, leading to a single unearned Shoremen run.
- Griffin set a new career high with his 14 strikeouts, eclipsing his previous career high of eight strikeouts he had last Saturday against Widener.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/5 @ Hood (2) - 12:00 p.m. (double-header)