CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Catholic University scored eight of its nine runs over the final three innings to pull away for a 9-1 non-conference baseball win over host Washington College this afternoon at Athey Park.
Catholic 9, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Evan Hirschbaum led off the bottom of the second inning for the Shoremen with a towering triple to right center. Aaron Barclay then drove him in with an RBI groundout.
- The Cardinals evened the score in the top of the fourth when Paul Burmester scored on a fielder's choice hit into by Danny O'Hagan after reaching on a single.
- Burmester put Catholic in front with a two-out single through the right side to plate Brett Padula in the top of the seventh. Catholic tacked on two more runs in the top of the eighth on a pinch-hit RBI single to left by Jake Crist and a sacrifice fly to right by Padula.
- The five remaining Cardinal runs crossed the plate in the top of the ninth. Bailey Lewis scored on a passed ball, Bermester scored on an ground ball error, and O'Hagan and Bo Williams hit back-to-back RBI doubles all before an out was recorded in the ninth. Connor Sullivan drove in the game's final run with a one-out, pinch-hit RBI single.
For the Shoremen (0-4)
- Hitting: Hirschbaum (run, triple, walk); Tancredi (double); Barclay (RBI)
- Pitching: P.J. Mikulus (6 innings, 1 run, 8 hits, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts); Brandon Bartlett (loss, 0.2 innings, 1 run 1 hit); Drew Alvarez (1 inning, no runs, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts)
For Catholic (3-1)
- Hitting: O'Hagan (4-for-5, 2 runs, 2 RBI, double); Padula (3-for-4, run, RBI); Burmester (3-for-5, 2 runs, RBI); Brennan Cotter (2-for-4, 2 runs, double, walk)
- Pitching: Mason Belcher (5 innings, 1 run, 4 hits, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts); Colin Cunningham (win, 2 innings, no runs, no hits, 2 walks); Mark Duffy (1 inning, no runs, no hits, 1 strikeout); Joseph Salzano (1 inning, no runs, no hits)
- Mikulus was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game during the webcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/4 v. Dean - 12:00 p.m.